Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Help with DSLR Setup!

Started by zransom ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with DSLR Setup!

2 posts
  1. Hello everyone! I have been researching my jump into the dslr market for quite some time now but I would love some input from those who know best, you guys! Currently I am using a Canon 50D on land, and a Canon SD960 with Inon WA lens underwater. I feel that I am quite frequently experiencing moments while diving that I just can't capture with my current rig. The question is this. I have been looking at selling my two cameras and investing in a t2i outfit, then Canon comes out with the t3i, and the 60D! I do like the option of shooting video which is the only reason I dont want to buy a housing for the 50D I already own. Of these cameras, t2i, t3i, 60D, 50D, or even a comparable nikon which would you reccomend? It worries me a bit that canon seems to come out with a new rebel every year but from the video and photo I have seen from the t2i it looks great. Also these may be more readily available used and as far as I know there isn't a t3i housing out there yet. I have used a Nikon D200 underwater while working as a DM and here is a link to some of those photos along with some from the SD 960 www.zransom.com. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank for your time.

     

    -Zach

  2. Hello everyone! I have been researching my jump into the dslr market for quite some time now but I would love some input from those who know best, you guys! Currently I am using a Canon 50D on land, and a Canon SD960 with Inon WA lens underwater. I feel that I am quite frequently experiencing moments while diving that I just can't capture with my current rig. The question is this. I have been looking at selling my two cameras and investing in a t2i outfit, then Canon comes out with the t3i, and the 60D! I do like the option of shooting video which is the only reason I dont want to buy a housing for the 50D I already own. Of these cameras, t2i, t3i, 60D, 50D, or even a comparable nikon which would you reccomend? It worries me a bit that canon seems to come out with a new rebel every year but from the video and photo I have seen from the t2i it looks great. Also these may be more readily available used and as far as I know there isn't a t3i housing out there yet. I have used a Nikon D200 underwater while working as a DM and here is a link to some of those photos along with some from the SD 960 www.zransom.com. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank for your time.

     

    -Zach

     

    I highly recommend the T2i, it is a great rig, extremely versatile for the price. I haven't heard whether any manufacturers are going to jump on the T3i yet, but I would doubt it given the very limited improvements that Canon made, especially with regards to features that are relevant underwater. I just don't think the investment would be justified. Same is pretty much true for the 60D. There is an Ikelite housing available, but few other manufacturers jumped on board. I had the opportunity to shoot both the Aquatica and Nauticam housings for the T2i last summer. Let me know if I can answer any further questions you might have.

     

    Best,

     

    Sterling

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.