Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro Port Protector

Started by Pfiffikus25 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Port Protector

5 posts
  1. Hi All!

     

    I plan to make the following macro port protector:

     

    portprotector.PNG

     

    red ... port in aluminum

    green ... glass of the port

     

    white ... clamp on (by tight fit o-ring) port protector

    blue ... clamp in lid

     

    The white part should be installed "permanently" on the port, most likely with a tight fit o-ring or small set screws. The inner diameter hole should be big enough so that the view angle of the 60mm lens is not disturbed. The blue part would be to protect the the remaining little area, although this might not be necessary. I would add some small holes close to the outer circumfence to let water drain away after the dive.

     

    The material would be black POM (Delrin).

     

    My question: Will the small diameter hole in the white colored cover disturb the light for the lens as long as the viewangle is not disturbed? I would guess that I get less stray light into the lens, which is good. Any ideas of drawbacks?

     

    Thanks for any feedback, Wolfgang

  2. Can't think of many - your biggest issue is that you still want the lens to function with the aperture wide open - or goodbye autofocus and manual focus will be a tough call.

     

    Think when you do the math on the angles the 'protection' will not be great if you want that F2.8 to focus with....

     

     

    Paul C

  3. P.S nice bit of Autocad though!

     

    Paul C

  4. Paul!

     

    Thanks for your answer. What would you estimate to be the minimum diameter of the inner opening?

     

    If the whole thing is "useless" in the end, I will just make the white thing as protection cap which is removed during the dive.

     

    Problem is, that I will be diving in the Atlantic Ocean soon, partially diving from land. Wind and waves can be quite strong, so I want to protect my gear as good as possible (apart from the insurance). So during the dive I don't need the protection really.

     

    Wolfgang

  5. Easy to try - with the aperture wide (F2.8 / camera in auto focus) poke a bit of card over the port until you see it in the viewfinder - probably take a shot at the wide open position also - your viewfinder may well not see 100% of the frame.

     

    You may also find that the lens is not 'exactly' centred in the port - not unusual - so don't cut it too fine.

     

    FWIW I would go for a hard Delrin cover that you remove during the dive.

     

    Paul C

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.