Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

External Network drive on an mac

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

External Network drive on an mac

7 posts
  1. So, I was just about to finally purchase a Thecus external drive however when looking at the interfaces on the drive it works via ethernet.

    Now I am pretty sure that you can't just plug the ethernet cable into the back of a mac and it will work....

     

    How easy is it to set up and what else would I need?

  2. Isn't that a network drive Jon? I'm not familiar with them to be honest so it may be some new type of drive interface but if it isn't then I think these days you really need to be using either Firewire800, USB3 or an eSATA interface.

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

    P.S. Anyone know if eSATA cards are stable now in Snow Leopard?

  3. So, I was just about to finally purchase a Thecus external drive however when looking at the interfaces on the drive it works via ethernet.

    Now I am pretty sure that you can't just plug the ethernet cable into the back of a mac and it will work....

     

    How easy is it to set up and what else would I need?

     

    Haven't used that one, but have used others. Take a look at this set up guide for the Thecus

     

    Set Up For Hard Drive

     

    You may want to poke around their forum to see issues, just in case, like This Thread

     

    Isn't that a network drive Jon? I'm not familiar with them to be honest so it may be some new type of drive interface but if it isn't then I think these days you really need to be using either Firewire800, USB3 or an eSATA interface.

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

    P.S. Anyone know if eSATA cards are stable now in Snow Leopard?

     

     

    Not sure which SL you are running (I tend to lag behind if my system is otherwise working), but I have a couple of Seritek cards in my tower and they have been stable.

     

    As to eSata, FW800 or USB. No more. Thunderbolt baby :P Will be interesting to see how it works in real life.

  4. LOL just Googled Thunderbolt - now we're cooking on gas! :P

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. And a few have seen the beta for the new Final Cut Studio as well. It will be out this spring.

    Steve

  6. More reading required!

     

    thanks guys

  7. It looks like it runs just like any other NAS so you would want to plug it into a network switch or router. You can't plug it into your compter because your computer will not assign it an IP address. NAS are VERY easy to set up and use. I use a Netgear Ready NAS that I really like because I can do back ups from any computer to it and I it plays nice with other things on my network like my Sonos and Sony PS3. I put all my music and movies on it so I can watch them on the PS3 and all my music is available to my Sonos and Pioneer Receiver.

    Edited by focker
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.