Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Flathead (Lembeh) question

Started by waso ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Flathead (Lembeh) question

11 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I'm far from familiar with the different flathead species.

    Shot this picture at 2009 in Lembeh.

     

    Any hints?

     

    Thanks in advance!

     

    Wahrmut

     

    mg5987flathead.jpg

    By wahrmut at 2011-02-27

  2. LOL, I know this problem. The "tree" above the eye is special, i think, but after a while i give up searching and call it Sunagocia sp..

    post-14523-1299027991.jpg

    2006, Canon Ixus700 - First dives with a small cam when live was easy and i don't know strange things like DOF, apenture, ...

    Cheers

    Michael

  3. Hi Michael,

     

    so that meens that you haven't identified your flathead yet...?

    Too bad - didn't know that it seems to be so difficult with this guys.

     

    Btw: Long time no talking ;-)

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  4. Hi,

     

    I'm far from familiar with the different flathead species.

    Shot this picture at 2009 in Lembeh.

     

    Any hints?

     

    Thanks in advance!

     

    Wahrmut

     

    mg5987flathead.jpg

    By wahrmut at 2011-02-27

     

    Moin,

    Horned Flathead - Thysanophrys carbunculus

    deutscher Trivial Name unbekannt, schlage:

    "Gehörnter Flachkopf" vor ;-)

    Beo

  5. Hey, lots of Germans around ;-)

     

    Thysanophrys carbunculus looks quite promising - I'll follow this hint!

     

    Greetings!

  6. Moin,

    Horned Flathead - Thysanophrys carbunculus

    deutscher Trivial Name unbekannt, schlage:

    "Gehörnter Flachkopf" vor ;-)

    Beo

    Gekauft und bedankt!

    LG

    Michael

     

    PS

    Sunagocia carbunculus is also a valid name for it, so i wasn't to far away with Sunagocia sp. :-)

    Edited by M.Henke
  7. Ok, wenn Michael das kauft, kaufe ich auch und bedanke mich ganz lieb bei meinem Teamkollegen :)

     

    Grüsse

     

    Wahrmut

  8. There can only be one valid name according to the rules of scientific nomenclature. On Fishbase the accepted name is Eurycephalus carbunculus.

  9. There can only be one valid name according to the rules of scientific nomenclature. On Fishbase the accepted name is Eurycephalus carbunculus.

     

    As a name reference i use http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/Sing...ch_value=692122 , but may be they are not scientific enought. :-)

     

    Bye the way, if I use your Fishbase reference http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/speci...amp;lang=German and hit the link ITIS (top-right) I am in ITIS with Sunagocia carbunculus as the valid name.

     

    So, if there can only be one, which one is right?

     

    Best regards

    Michael

     

    PS

    Leslie, please do not take this personal, you helped me a lot and I am impressed of your knowledge, but on the other hand I love to discuss my point of view until I am convinced.

  10. Same here, Michael, so I went & did a bit of research. And guess what? You're right :-)) In 2004 the genus name Eurycephalus Imamura 1996 was replaced by Sunagocia. The reason? Eurycephalus had been used first for a genus of beetle by Gray in 1832 and the same name can't be used for 2 different genera. It was Imamura himself who made the change.

     

    I usually rely on Fishbase over ITIS as my experience with ITIS - admittedly based on marine inverts - is that it's less reliable than other major databases. In this case it - and you - was correct.

  11. Thanks for the background information and your time.

    Best regards

    Michael

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.