Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Is it actually giving birth?

Started by Luko ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Is it actually giving birth?

7 posts
  1. Hi,

    Would you please confirm what I am suspecting? taken last week in Ambon bay, Laha 2 spot.

    I noticed the small guy coming out from the belly hours later, when editing my pix on my computer screen. then it's a male seahorse right?

    thanks

     

    5487814703_4b6254560b_b.jpg

    Seahorse giving birth by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

  2. Hello Luko,

     

    I am not a seahorse expert - so you may want to wait for a second opinion.

     

    Yes, that is a male seahorse - but I believe he defecating, not giving birth - from the position on his body.

     

    The anus is typically at the base of keel and the brood pouch aperture is further down, on the brood pouch, not above it. This picture is of a different species - but I've labelled this picture to show the features.

     

    post-713-1299052616.jpg

     

    Also all the seahorse babies I have seen are not brightly coloured - for camouflage.

     

    I hope this helps, even though I am sure it is not the answer you wanted.

     

    Alex

  3. Well CRAP... I thought it was a baby too!! :)

     

    Either way, I'm sure Mr. Seahorse is relieved.

     

    Great shot Luko!

  4. haha what a crack up!

     

    also, great shot!

  5. Yes, that is a male seahorse - but I believe he defecating, not giving birth - from the position on his body.

     

    The anus is typically at the base of keel and the brood pouch aperture is further down, on the brood pouch, not above it. This picture is of a different species - but I've labelled this picture to show the features.

    Thanks Alex,

    jeeze... even the seahorse poop looks like a mini seahorse ! :) ...how strange.

  6. That sure is one seahorse-shaped turd.

  7. That sure is one seahorse-shaped turd.

    I suppose that's what one would aptly call fractals. :)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.