Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica Housing adjustments

Started by gina ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica Housing adjustments

12 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I wasn't able to find this info on either the Aquatica website or here, but I understand there's an Aquatica rep around so I'm hoping he can answer my question :)

     

    I have an Aquatica housing for a 5DMkII and am trying to put together a set of Allen wrenches for emergency adjustments when I'm away from civilization. Might you have a list of what size wrenches are needed so I don't have to buy full sets of both US & metric sizes to figure it out? Any other tips for adjustment equipment I should know?

     

    Thank you very much,

    Gina

  2. Hello,

     

    I wasn't able to find this info on either the Aquatica website or here, but I understand there's an Aquatica rep around so I'm hoping he can answer my question :)

     

    I have an Aquatica housing for a 5DMkII and am trying to put together a set of Allen wrenches for emergency adjustments when I'm away from civilization. Might you have a list of what size wrenches are needed so I don't have to buy full sets of both US & metric sizes to figure it out? Any other tips for adjustment equipment I should know?

     

    Thank you very much,

    Gina

     

    HI Gina,

    Imperial (inches) are what you need, starting at 5/64" worjking up

  3. Hello,

     

    I wasn't able to find this info on either the Aquatica website or here, but I understand there's an Aquatica rep around so I'm hoping he can answer my question :)

     

    I have an Aquatica housing for a 5DMkII and am trying to put together a set of Allen wrenches for emergency adjustments when I'm away from civilization. Might you have a list of what size wrenches are needed so I don't have to buy full sets of both US & metric sizes to figure it out? Any other tips for adjustment equipment I should know?

     

    Thank you very much,

    Gina

     

    1/4" for the grips

     

    1/16" for the Dome shade

     

    5/64" for the gears (and some knobs)

     

    Best is to get one of those inexpensive folding wrench at home depot, these folding wrench will have enough choice in there to cover most of you equipment (photographic or not) needs, also, please, please, please do not carry the wrench or allen key on the plane, it seem every once in a while we have to ship some replacement overnight to some poor sap who had them seized by some TSA agents gone over zealous.

  4. Might you have a list of what size wrenches are needed so I don't have to buy full sets of both US & metric sizes to figure it out?

    Thank you very much,

    Gina

     

    My experience is you need every size available, plus two more smaller ones that aren't available. :)

     

    I think my D200 housing had 4,327 set screws. Every one of them was a different size. There was a 97% probability that you had to remove up to a dozen pieces in order to adjust the one you needed to adjust.

     

    My 7D housing isn't as bad, I think, but I now have allen wrenches so small I can't even see them with my naked eye.

     

     

    I hate set screws.

  5. Best is to get one of those inexpensive folding wrench at home depot

     

    Yes but they rust :) If only someone was ingenious enough to make a stainless one :)

  6. 1/4" for the grips

     

    1/16" for the Dome shade

     

    5/64" for the gears (and some knobs)

     

    Best is to get one of those inexpensive folding wrench at home depot, these folding wrench will have enough choice in there to cover most of you equipment (photographic or not) needs, also, please, please, please do not carry the wrench or allen key on the plane, it seem every once in a while we have to ship some replacement overnight to some poor sap who had them seized by some TSA agents gone over zealous.

     

    Wonderful! Thanks very much, Jean & Scubysnaps.

     

    -Gina

     

     

    My experience is you need every size available, plus two more smaller ones that aren't available. :)

     

    Ha ha! :)

  7. 1/4" for the grips

     

    1/16" for the Dome shade

     

    5/64" for the gears (and some knobs)

     

    Best is to get one of those inexpensive folding wrench at home depot, these folding wrench will have enough choice in there to cover most of you equipment (photographic or not) needs, also, please, please, please do not carry the wrench or allen key on the plane, it seem every once in a while we have to ship some replacement overnight to some poor sap who had them seized by some TSA agents gone over zealous.

     

    Jean,

     

    What is the size of the set screws used in the FE dome shade (18480) and the older, heavier one (18482). I thought they were metric, but apparently not??

     

    Harry

  8. Jean,

     

    What is the size of the set screws used in the FE dome shade (18480) and the older, heavier one (18482). I thought they were metric, but apparently not??

     

    Harry

     

    They are 1/16'', have been since I am working there, if for some reason, the older one should happen to be bigger, then it would be a 5/64'' size (same as the gears)

  9. Agree with fellow canuck Jean on overzealous TSA guys going bonkers over Allen wrench... My personal experience happened with the Canadian equivalent of TSA... I'd call them SSA... stupid safety agent... Not all of them but some are leftovers from psychopath treatment... They seized my small SINGLE wrench.... 5mm, left in my carry-on. I also had two nice sets of TLC arms in the carry-on... you know those who can probably break your cranium.... and I did not have to hand them over... Rationale: Wrench is a "tool" and procedure says no "tool" allowed... Glad toothbrushes do not qualify as tools... :lol:

  10. They are 1/16'', have been since I am working there, if for some reason, the older one should happen to be bigger, then it would be a 5/64'' size (same as the gears)

     

    Jean,

     

    I was asking for the size of the set screw, not the size of the wrench. Length, diameter and thread type, please.

     

    Thanks.

     

    Harry

  11. here is the list of wrenches i keep for my 5DmkII housing. I went and bought wiha black and red handles hex keys from sears.

     

    5/64"

    1/16"

    3/16"

    1/4"

    .050"

  12. here is the list of wrenches i keep for my 5DmkII housing. I went and bought wiha black and red handles hex keys from sears.

     

    5/64"

    1/16"

    3/16"

    1/4"

    .050"

    I just came back from Cancun. Airport security there took my Allen wrench and 8 AA alkaline batteries - for whatever reason I don't know. Maybe I will keep my Allen wrench inside the housing underneath the camera next time. I am convinced sometimes these people just don't understand the rules at all. I even had them pull out their manual with photos of stuff not allowed. Allen wrenches and AA batteries weren't on the forbidden list but I didn't get my stuff back after I pointed it out. Such is life.

    Andy

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.