Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nexus & Nauticam - size really does matter (at least to me)

Started by holloways ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Nexus & Nauticam - size really does matter (at least to me)

14 posts
  1. I'm in the market for my first DSLR. SIZE is a big deal for me. I'm looking for as SMALL of a form factor as possible. (I have a real phobia about the size of these systems).

     

    Recently I've discovered two systems which seem comparatively small & compact compared to other systems out there (at least I think so). The Nexus and Nauticam set-ups both seem very well made and quite compact. I'm having trouble finding much info on either system. Thought I'd ask this panel of experts and enthusiasts your thoughts on the topic. (I'll likely buy the Nikon D90 or Canon T2i + 1 macro and 1 wide lens... I'm new to DSLRs and starting from scratch).

     

    I have lots of questions - so any words of wisdom would be appreciated. A few questions that come to mind include:

     

     

    [*]Are the Nexus and Nauticam systems the most compact DSLR's housings / systems on the market - are there other systems I should be considering?

    [*]Why am I having such a hard time finding meaningful specs / ratings on this gear? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place??? Any good sources of specs /rating info?

    [*]What do you like / not like about these systems?

    [*]Why buy one over another ?

    [*]What have you learned that you wish you would have known before you purchased?

    [*]What add-on gear would you consider "must-haves" to go along with these housings? Anything you'd avoid?

    [/list

     

     

    Thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

  2. I would certainly consider buying a Nikon D7000 rather than a D90 now. I'll let others cast their views over which system to buy as I fear I may be subjective in my opinions.

     

    Alex

  3. You are not going to be able to compose photos on the LCD screens for any of these cams. If you want to compose on the screen, like you have been doing with a P&S, you'll need to get a panasonic gf or gh series, or sony nex. They are the only ones with useable auto focus when the screen is live. They are also nice and small, but have limitations too.

     

    At this point, I'd seriously consider the nikon d7000 over the d90. Not much more expensive, but killer image quality, better viewfinder, and autofocus, and much better video modes.

     

    The t2i is a few hundred cheaper, not as good a viewfinder, but even better video modes. Today I'd go d7000 if still images are primary.

     

    Then you need a tokina 10-17 fisheye and matching dome port, for close focus wide angle.

     

    And a macro lens depending on how much you want to use it in clear tropical waters, lower vis california waters. Maybe a nikon 60mm macro lens, and matching port.

     

    So, you may want a housing with a big external viewfinder gizmo, that will add another $800-$1000. You can start without it, or just with a standard view finder that comes with every housing, and you can always add one of these later on.

     

    Is your main concern with housings actual size, or weight for airlines, or what exactly?

     

    The Ikelite d7000 housing at $1500 rather than $3100 for the nauticam, and on up.. The weight difference is negligible.

     

    The ike housing includes the TTL conversion circuitry so you can use the d7000's great automatic flash exposure system, to control underwater strobes, by wired connections.

     

    You need some arms and strobes. And a focus light.

  4. If size/weight is an issue, consider optically triggered strobes, they do pack smaller and lighter, The INON Z-240 & Sea & Sea YS-110 will do S-TTL right out of the box, are lighter run on common AA battery. Don't get me wrong I love my Ikelite, but I am packing for a trip next week (On which I am bringing five housings) and along with my DS-160 I am also bringing some Inon and Sea & Sea strobes, well, I can’t help but notice that two Inon Z-240 actually fit in the space of a single DS-160, and that not even including the DS-160 charger, spare battery, the TTL converter and double cord. It makes a huge footprint difference in the suitcase.

     

    I concur with the D7000, it is a bit more cash, but it will keep you smiling longer than a D90 would, this being said the T2i also really rocks for its price point, Canon has a really small 60mm macro compared to the Nikon, and the Tokina (the "must have" lens if I might say) is also very compact, get a small dome for it.

     

    Confirm that the dimension and weight includes both with grips and without grip, grips will add 7" in width to an average housing when attached, but they are easily taken apart for transportation, nevertheless gauging a housing size without them attached might lead you into thinking a housing is actually smaller than another. If in doubt, check the manufacturer website or write to their tech support to confirm.

  5. I'm in the market for my first DSLR. SIZE is a big deal for me. I'm looking for as SMALL of a form factor as possible. (I have a real phobia about the size of these systems).

     

    Recently I've discovered two systems which seem comparatively small & compact compared to other systems out there (at least I think so). The Nexus and Nauticam set-ups both seem very well made and quite compact. I'm having trouble finding much info on either system. Thought I'd ask this panel of experts and enthusiasts your thoughts on the topic. (I'll likely buy the Nikon D90 or Canon T2i + 1 macro and 1 wide lens... I'm new to DSLRs and starting from scratch).

     

    I have lots of questions - so any words of wisdom would be appreciated. A few questions that come to mind include:

     

     

    [*]Are the Nexus and Nauticam systems the most compact DSLR's housings / systems on the market - are there other systems I should be considering?

    [*]Why am I having such a hard time finding meaningful specs / ratings on this gear? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place??? Any good sources of specs /rating info?

    [*]What do you like / not like about these systems?

    [*]Why buy one over another ?

    [*]What have you learned that you wish you would have known before you purchased?

    [*]What add-on gear would you consider "must-haves" to go along with these housings? Anything you'd avoid?

    [/list

     

     

    Thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

    I went through the same process several years ago and selected the D80 over the D200 that I owned and the the Nexus housing because of prior experience with a F4 housing, size and weight considerations. The D80 housing weighs < 2 Kg (4.4 lbs) and is lighter and smaller the the cooresponding D200 housing. That said, the housing is not that much smaller and heavier, but with the cameras installed, there is a notible difference in weight.

     

    I do recomend the optiional viewfinder and optical strobe trigger. With most housings you can get both optical & hard wire connections. I use the Inon Z-240 for macro & w/a. I have sTTL with the optical connections if I want it. Unless you are looking for a used system, I would go with the D7000 vs. the D90.

     

    Here's a link to some reviews.

    U/W Reviews

     

    There are many reviews here at WP and all over the net.

     

    Bob

  6. My phobia re: size is both physical size and weight. I want to be able to carry it on the smallest of planes, along w/ my laptop, etc, to remote tropical spots across the globe. Crazy as it may sound to some of you – the fear of the size of these systems has kept me from buying a DSLR in the past. I’m going to take a deep breath and bite the bullet – but I want to make keep from breaking my back (and my bank account).

     

    Good ideas re: the INON strobes. My IKE DS125 strobe is a GREAT strobe – but big. Maybe I can save some space there.

    The point about housing body size with and w/o handles is a good one -as is the idea of Canon’s small profile ports.

    I really appreciate the source material as well.

     

    Are there other housings I should be looking at, in addition to Nexus and Nauticam? I heard a vote for IKE (good on the wallet, and great customer service – but pretty big). Any other housing suggestions?The small port idea is a good one – more suggestions / recommendations on that would be helpful too.. Finally the idea of gently used has caught my attention as well. Any suggestions in that department, in keeping wiht the small profile requirements?

  7. My phobia re: size is both physical size and weight. I want to be able to carry it on the smallest of planes, along w/ my laptop, etc, to remote tropical spots across the globe. Crazy as it may sound to some of you – the fear of the size of these systems has kept me from buying a DSLR in the past. I’m going to take a deep breath and bite the bullet – but I want to make keep from breaking my back (and my bank account).

     

    Good ideas re: the INON strobes. My IKE DS125 strobe is a GREAT strobe – but big. Maybe I can save some space there.

    The point about housing body size with and w/o handles is a good one -as is the idea of Canon’s small profile ports.

    I really appreciate the source material as well.

     

    Are there other housings I should be looking at, in addition to Nexus and Nauticam? I heard a vote for IKE (good on the wallet, and great customer service – but pretty big). Any other housing suggestions?The small port idea is a good one – more suggestions / recommendations on that would be helpful too.. Finally the idea of gently used has caught my attention as well. Any suggestions in that department, in keeping wiht the small profile requirements?

     

    In a regular carry on case with wheel, I am able to pack the housing, a macro port, 4' dome, two Inon and cords with arms (the strobe arm thing can be dicey with the TSA people, I usually put them and any tool in the checked luggage), then I still have room for my regulator and dive mask, dive computer and lap top, I carry cameras, lens and Aqua View Finder in my shoulder camera bag. the rest can go in the hold, I can rent, beg, borrow or steal the rest if need be :) use T-shirt and swim trunks for padding

     

    It is still bigger/heavier than a point an shoot system but it can go with you where you want to go. The good thing about both the T2i and D7000 are the size and weight, they are lighter than many other cameras out there but still offer big bang for the buck and most of us housing manufacturer have taken extra time to make housings that reflects this way of thinking.

     

    BTW here is a tip for those who have to put their housing in the checked bagages, pack the front and back in separate suitcase. Nobody steals half of something :) not even in San Juan LOL

  8. Housing by Seatool/Recsea definitely have an edge over nauticam and Nexus in terms of size and weight.

  9. If you're looking for a quality aluminum cast/machined housing that is compact, light weight, & well designed with excellent ergonomics, its hard to beat Nexus. I've been extremely happy with my D70 & now D300 housings. The only downside - Nexus is getting hard to find in the US.

  10. Housing by Seatool/Recsea definitely have an edge over nauticam and Nexus in terms of size and weight.

    I was interested in the seatool/recsea housings until I read about their non-support for a housing problem.

    Seatool Problem

    Bob

  11. What is your dissatisfaction with a p&s cam? If you want small, (like I do too), a high end p&s might be plenty.

     

    Certainly, as long as you can live with ISO 100, you'll get adequate image quality.

     

    Do you want/need to shoot higher ISO?

     

    If you are shooting primarily for web photo album use, a good P&S like an lx5, or s90, might be all you'll ever need.

     

    Or, if you want higher ISO, and high IQ, a micro 4/3rds camera, or a sony nex would be much lighter and more compact than a DSLR.

     

    I've been on the edge of buying a t2i, or a d7000 over and over.

     

    Then I remember that I hate lugging all that crap around all over the world. I'm just afraid I'd buy it, and leave it in the closet.

     

    ugh! :)

  12. I started out with a compact in an Ikelite housing and Ike DS125 strobe. When it came time to upgrade I quickly abandoned my original plan to get an Ike DSLR housing

    and add a 2nd DS125. On top of my reliability concerns, mass and volume were major considerations and lugging a bulky perspex housing with 2 giant heavy strobes had

    become very unappealing. At the time I had decided on the D90 as my camera of choice and Nexus was one of the few housing manufacturers offering Optical connections.

    This coupled with the excellent Inon Z240 strobes became my choice and I have been very happy with the decision.

     

    I did add the excellent Nauticam Enhanced viewfinder to my housing as I found using the "Keyhole" on the back of the housing very frustrating and a pain in the neck.

     

    If I was transitioning to DSLR now I would be looking hard at a D7000 in Aquatica or Nauticam. Nexus have yet to release their housing for the D7000.

     

    An Alloy housing with the Inons is very manageable in and out of the water. Adding to that a Macro Port and a Compact Dome you'll have a great little SLR kit.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  13. Hello holloways,

     

    My phobia re: size is both physical size and weight. I want to be able to carry it on the smallest of planes, along w/ my laptop, etc, to remote tropical spots across the globe. Crazy as it may sound to some of you – the fear of the size of these systems has kept me from buying a DSLR in the past.

     

    A little while back I did a blog post about getting a small DSLR system into a carryon... some of that gear has been mentioned by others, like the Inon S-2000 for example. And I used the Canon T2i in that little experiment - personal opinion, but I still think it is the best value in a camera to take underwater.

    DSLR in a carry on

     

    [*]Why am I having such a hard time finding meaningful specs / ratings on this gear? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place??? Any good sources of specs /rating info?

     

    We certainly are not trying to keep it hidden! Sometimes it is tough getting things out where people can find them. You are on the right track in coming to Wetpixel - there is an amazing amount of good info here. If there is something specific you would like to know about Nauticam, let me know and I will do my best to get you the info.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  14. FWIW Archimedes applies - small compact housings weigh more underwater because they have less displacement. Dome ports require greater size in order to operate better optically. Its a trade off and if size really does matter that much then I'd really think twice about a dSLR.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.