A cautionary tale: last weekend I submerged into a well-known quarry in middle England as it begins to warm up (5 Celsius, 278 Kelvin or about 40 Fahrenheit). Later that day I changed to my nice, big 9" dome which, I believe, came via Nauticam but originally from Ryan and Zen. The air in my housing was still pretty chilly when I started to shoot in the dive centre's pool at about 27 Celsius, 300 Kelvin or 80 Fahrenheit. Two hours later there was an unexpected "glugg!", an even more unexpected bubble, and, as I lifted my housing up, my partner caught a large lump of exquisitely crafted glass and two o-rings going down!
Back-of-the-envelope engineering suggests that the forces on the dome are rather large: the internal area of the dome is, roughly, 70 square in or 400 square cm, a temperature differential of 20 K is equivalent to a pressure of about 6.5kPa or 1 psi: the expanding air exerts a force of 70 lbf or 30kg on the dome!!
Air pressure caused the explosive disassembly of my port!
I can't claim that this is my idea as I heard that Hong Kong and Florida have already discussed my plight. I am pleased to say that the initial prognosis is highly positive and I can't thank Edward and Ryan enough, not to mention the intecession of Alex Tattesall, the first recipient of my anguished email on Saturday afternoon!
Tim
![]()