Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

Non paying magazin

Started by waso ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Non paying magazin

17 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I just want to warn everybody submitting images to the russian dive magazin 'Ultimate Depth'.

    I was contacted in March 2010 because the magazin payed attention on my 2nd place at the Golden Dolphin competition in March 2010.

    They asked me for the image to be used as a cover for their magazin und offered me 150,- $, which is a pain in the a.., I know, but I’m not every day asked for a cover image. ;-)

    After the high res submission of the image the conversation became exceptional quiet from their side. Even after a few emails I never received any answer anymore.

    And of course: What I didn’t get was the money – not even one of the magazins, which was also promised.

    My mistake was, of course, to send the high res image before I received any money – I learned it the hard way – never made this kind of experiences in Germany.

    Well, why can I be so sure that they finally used my image for their cover if I never received an issue of the magazin?

    Because it can be seen in the web (it’s the Hippocampus bargibanti in issue No.2/2010, see below).

    http://www.pglubina.ru/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=137

     

    Besides that, they terribly changed the colours – ouch!!!

     

    So, if somebody of you will ever be asked from the dive magazin ‘Ultimate Depth’ for images, just wait for the money first before you submit the high res files.

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  2. Hello,

     

    I just want to warn everybody submitting images to the russian dive magazin 'Ultimate Depth'.

    .......

     

    So, if somebody of you will ever be asked from the dive magazin ‘Ultimate Depth’ for images, just wait for the money first before you submit the high res files.

    Cheers

    Wahrmut

     

    Sorry to hear of this, but thanks for the warning. One to put on the 'cash via paypal before shipping anything without a watermark' list, and that includes low res. The demand for high res is still with us, but iPad Apps and web use will rise and with it the requirement for low res only......

  3. I asked them about this problem on our forum, they promised to pay untill 10 may. This magazine is pretty poor and delay for payment can be too long. I can't recommend to have any deal with them, if you want to get money for your stuff =(

  4. I asked them about this problem on our forum, they promised to pay untill 10 may. This magazine is pretty poor and delay for payment can be too long. I can't recommend to have any deal with them, if you want to get money for your stuff =(

    Hey, that sounds quite promising!

    It would be too kind if you could ask on this forum for sending me the issue No. 2 from 2010 - actually this is more important for me than the money.

    I can accept that they are pretty poor, but I can't accept that there were no replies to my emails at all - as soon as they've received the high res file.

     

    Anyway, thanks for the information!

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  5. It would be too kind if you could ask on this forum for sending me the issue No. 2 from 2010 - actually this is more important for me than the money.

    I've seen it some time ago in the store. PM me the shipping info, I think it will be easy to send it...

  6. For some reason someone called Pickapic answered this topic but it doesn´t show :lol:

     

    Anyway, I am in the same case as Wahrmut with another magazine but I will hold the information for a while (hope is the last thing to be lost...). But it is the same case... :rofl:

     

    Did you ever get your money, Wahrmut?

  7. For some reason someone called Pickapic answered this topic but it doesn´t show :lol:

     

    Anyway, I am in the same case as Wahrmut with another magazine but I will hold the information for a while (hope is the last thing to be lost...). But it is the same case... :rofl:

     

    Did you ever get your money, Wahrmut?

    No, I didn't get a penny/cent or anything else... ;)

    But with the help of Seabeast I finally got a copy of the issue.

    I can only advice everybody: Wait for the money before you send hi res files - or at least put a big copyright in the middle of the image.

     

    Btw: Almost the same happend again with the magazin Australasia Scubadiver (6/2010).

    But after about 1,5 years I finally received a cheque - maybe it was just forgotten... this magazin seems much more serious to me anyway.

     

    Cheers

  8. Hi David,

     

    Pickapic was posting spam so was removed!

     

    Adam

  9. For some reason someone called Pickapic answered this topic but it doesn´t show :lol:

     

    Anyway, I am in the same case as Wahrmut with another magazine but I will hold the information for a while (hope is the last thing to be lost...). But it is the same case... :rofl:

     

    Did you ever get your money, Wahrmut?

     

     

    SDAA does take a while but they do pay in the end. I'm in singapore where the magazine is based and even then it takes a while. ;)

  10. I din't think any diving magazine pays particularly quickly (unless it's German) thanks to so many people being keen to give away their material!

  11. I din't think any diving magazine pays particularly quickly (unless it's German) thanks to so many people being keen to give away their material!

    Ok, that might be the problem: As a German I'm used to german or dutch magazins paying immediately.

  12. Hi Wahrmut,

     

    I had a similar experience from another magazine publisher that had a reputation for taking it's time. They did

    eventually pay up. Perhaps it's worth posting about this on some of the Russian UWP/Diving forums? One thing

    I did when pushing for my publisher to meet their basic obligation was to send an email to everyone within the

    organization I could find and provided a link to the thread on WP.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  13. Hi Jim,

     

    thanks for the link - what a nightmare with your payment!

     

    I don't expect any reaction posting my problem on russian diving forums, but maybe I'll be in the right mood for it - one day... :)

     

    Btw: My cheque from Australasia Scubadiver didn't bounce.

    What about yours?

    I'll never send them images again although they were very interested in some stuff from the Netherlands and the Azores.

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  14. Ok, that might be the problem: As a German I'm used to german or dutch magazins paying immediately.

    Industry standard for magazines is to pay 60 days after the date of publication... so, theoretically, if your photo gets published 1 january then you should be paid by first week of march. Don't get upset if that is not the case. However, if you haven't been paid by April then you should start asking questions....

  15. Industry standard for magazines is to pay 60 days after the date of publication... so, theoretically, if your photo gets published 1 january then you should be paid by first week of march. Don't get upset if that is not the case. However, if you haven't been paid by April then you should start asking questions....

    Well, the german standard might be different to industry (american?) standard, but I was waiting for more than 1 year.

    That's too long - in each case, and I didn't even get a copy of the (russian) magazin...

  16. yep, definitely too long.. :) you have been screwed..

     

    Not American standard, industry standard for the most part, German may be different..but i would give any magazine or publishers at least 60 days before sending emails etc asking about payments.

  17. I usually put 30 days terms on my invoice, and following up at 30 days reminds the purchaser to pay me by 60, 90 or 120 days (usually!). The bigger the publication, the worse their accounts department seems to be.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.