Thanks for the advice. I have been visiting this site for a long time now and it has been an increadable source of information.0
I am not that naive in thinking that the 1Ds is going to be the end all in cameras. It just seems to me that the camera companies are having a blast praying on those in the prosumer camera markets. It seems they up grade yet hold back some so they have something else to release in a year or two. They just want to make money: case in point is the fact that d-ttl is not accessible to us because the companies want to sell their own flashes. Let’s face it, the next generation of prosumer cameras are going to come out, and a lot of the people on this site who already have great set ups are going to get them or at the least want them pretty badly, especially if they are any full frame sensors.
I look at the 1Ds and see a camera that is 3 times more expensive then others. But realistically, who is going to put an 11 mp full frame sensor, a killer 45 point auto focus system, a 250 sync, etc, etc, in a prosumer camera any time soon for a decent price?
The way I see it I can go out and buy a 10D, or D100, or S2Pro (all great cameras) now and short change what I want, knowing I will have to upgrade once, probably twice or possibly three times to get to anything close to the 1Ds. Or I can bite the big one and buy the 1Ds and hope that this will be good enough for my application for years to come. (Boy I would hope so.) Ultimately yes, in a few generations of prosumer cameras there might be there an equal for a decent price, but by that time how much time, energy, and money would I have spent in upgrading to get there.
Though I seemed pretty convinced on the 1Ds, I think I will take Stephen’s advice and wait for pma to see the next big thing. I just wonder what they will leave out.