Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D7000 on land

Started by cor ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

D7000 on land

6 posts
  1. I just came back from a trip to the serengeti and brought 3 x D7000 and a D3s. I realize it's unfair to compare any camera to the D3s, as it's arguably the best camera in existence, but I was a little disappointed in the D7000. The main reason was the limited buffer size. I suppose in normal underwater use you wont really hit the buffer limit of 9-10 images, but in some situations you may, for example trying to capture behavior. For ISO is was pretty decent (not remotely comparable to the D3s, but better than the D3x and most other cameras i saw on the trip), and sharpness was also pretty good. Again, the D3s easily won there. Guess there's a reason the D3s costs $5k :lol:

  2. I'm shocked, a pro body outperforms a $1000 entry level consumer body!

     

    and sharpness was also pretty good. Again, the D3s easily won there

     

    Camera bodies don't make soft images, lenses and image processing do.

  3. The price sure helps. Many reviews tout the pro-ness of the D7000, but i found the limited buffer _for land use_ really a problem. YMMV. I'll probably still use it underwater. Sharpness (as seen in the final image) is a combination of everything. Obviously lens, DX/FX, ISO (and need for noise reduction), focus speed/tracking, software etc etc. I was actually complimenting the D7000 there. Since many people on our trip were using the Nikon 200-400mm, the D7000 seemed to be delivering very good end results compared to many other cameras, most of which significantly more expensive. I would personally not bring the D7000 on another safari though, or if I do, as a secondary camera. Just my personal opinion.

     

    It's obviously a really good camera for UW use.

    Edited by cor
  4. Another thing I noticed that struck me as odd was the 3 exposure bracket limit. That's purely an artificial limit in software. Silly if you ask me. Kind of annoying if you want to dabble with HDRs in challenging conditions. Again, not a problem UW, but some people may use their cameras on land as well and it helps to know these things.

     

    Just to make it clear, for the price the D7000 is an exceptional camera. Probably the best price/performance of any Nikon camera. But it does have a few limitations, which are really just artificially imposed. Maybe we'll see software updates at some point!

  5. Many reviews tout the pro-ness of the D7000, but i found the limited buffer _for land use_ really a problem. YMMV.

     

    That was the main negative pointed out in most of the reviews I read - including on DPReview.

     

    Alex

  6. The D7000 is a victim of it's own excellence. It's really a D90 upgrade, not a D300s upgrade, but because the sensor quality has really leapfrogged the D300 people continue to expect it to be a pro camera in other respects, and it really isn't. Makes no sense to me that Nikon will not have a D400 semi- pro level dx camera. From a commercial perspective the D7000 is a major product for Nikon, just as the D90 was, but that does not mean it's their pro product.

    Edited by loftus
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.