Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Mixing Sea&Sea Ports & Nauticam Housing

Started by DocTock ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Mixing Sea&Sea Ports & Nauticam Housing

4 posts
  1. One of the reasons I purchased a Nauticam housing was the ability to use ports from other manufacturers.

     

    Has anyone done this? What kind of results are you seeing? Are the conversion rings causing any fringing or aberrations?

     

    I’m asking actually as an after the fact “win” on EBay landed me a Sea & Sea NX Dome port. I plan on trying to use my Tokina 10-17 with my Nauticam zoom gear with this dome to shoot mainly over-under shots. I will probably try some dives with the dome as well.

     

    I’m calling Ryan at Reef tomorrow to order the adapter, and was noticing that it will add (?) 21mm – essentially isn’t this equal to an extension ring?

     

    How will this affect the image?

     

    Do I need to make any other alterations for this lens combo to work?

     

    With this large dome, would I be better off using a rectilinear WA? I also have a Tokina 11-16 lens, but the amount of gear to haul is already getting hefty.

     

     

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Not sure but I bet the "adapter" at 21mm will be just right for the Tokina 10-17. That is what I was told about the same Dome on the Aquatica AD7000, using their adapter provides the same distance as an extension ring would on S&S.

  3. Has anyone done this? What kind of results are you seeing? Are the conversion rings causing any fringing or aberrations?

     

    Yes, I have the same NX fisheye dome port and I'm using it on my Nauticam for the 7D and trhe Tokina 10-17. Works wonderfully. The adapters I'm familar with just replace the 3 lug Sea & Sea port interface ring with the 8 lug Nauticam ring. 16 small screws attach them. Very easy. I use all my old S&S ports with the Nauticam.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. I ahve used an Ikelite port for the 10-17 with the Nauticam adapter. Works great, no problems at all.

     

    /regards

     

    Bent

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.