Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone thought of this?

Started by gbrandon ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone thought of this?

8 posts
  1. I was killing time today and decided to log in here and see whats new. Haven't been on in quite awhile, but I noticed a recurring theme in regards to DSLR housings and dome's. It seems there are quite a few people outside the USA (and some even from the USA traveling abroad) that have problems when ordering new gear, replacement gear, kits, etc. Ive seen posts by people (including mfg's) that are spending up to $600-700 or more just to SHIP these items, not to mention the time it takes to go through customs, and then have to pay import taxes, etc.

     

    Has anyone ever given the thought of being a human courier? Someone that could hand deliver your gear to you outside the USA, thereby bypassing import taxes, as well as a 24 hour delivery window to most destinations? I would gladly take on this part time job. All I would ask would be for someone to pay my airline ticket, and im close to 3 major cities on the west coast. (Los Angeles, Las Vegas, or San Francisco). I would pay for the hotel and my own living expenses. In return, I would get to travel and spend some time in other places. Since im self employed and have no obligations, I think this would be a great idea. Comments?

    Edited by gbrandon
  2. ...thereby bypassing import taxes...

     

    In return, I would get to travel and spend some time in other places.

    Like in court in front of a judge, to pay fines for not declaring items? :lol:

    Edited by segal3
  3. What you are proposing is basically smuggling.... I'm not sure if you are aware of the implications of this but it certainly isn't worth a cheap holiday for you I shouldn't think.

  4. What you are proposing is basically smuggling.... I'm not sure if you are aware of the implications of this but it certainly isn't worth a cheap holiday for you I shouldn't think.

     

    Not really, if the customer paid the import tax its not smuggling at all, and lets be realistic, something of this type of venture would be what, maybe a dozen times a year. I'ts not like I have suitcases full of cigarettes with me. We both know how many people leave the country with more than 10k in cash on them, and that happens every day. When was the last time you heard of someone getting jailed over a single camera housing?

  5. Id be surprised if your return airline ticket to Oz worked out cheaper than a courier, and there is the small issue of trusting that the helpful individual wont just disappear with the housing etc.

     

    Otara

  6. Not really, if the customer paid the import tax its not smuggling at all, and lets be realistic, something of this type of venture would be what, maybe a dozen times a year. I'ts not like I have suitcases full of cigarettes with me. We both know how many people leave the country with more than 10k in cash on them, and that happens every day. When was the last time you heard of someone getting jailed over a single camera housing?

    So where would any possible savings come from? If the customer is going to pay the inport duties and VAT, then what is the point in having somebody hand transport it? If I fancied cheating customs I would either order from Hong Kong, where they seem to have interesting ways of valuing camera kit, or fly somewhere myself.

     

    Wild Arse Guess values;

    Housing: $5000

    Proper Shipping: $200

     

    How much is a return airfare from USA-UK? A lot more that $200.

     

    Basically, what you are proposing is that somebody pays you, a total unknown, to transport several thousands of pounds/dollars worth of kit, with no guarantees. At least when you use a courier you get insurance, assuming you declare the full value.

     

    And people do get pulled up here, all of the time, for a whole range of stuff. Including people like Coleen Rooney (some footballers wife) who got caught with £10k roughly in new clothes from New York.

     

    Good luck with it

  7. and were not saying that you aren't a lot better looking that a footballers wife! hehe :lol:

  8. These type of courier services do exist already and are used quite frequently.

     

    In my biz at least - film/tv production - we often times need to send tapes/hdrives/etc./etc. to locations last minute and on some cases use these courier services.

     

    Not cheap, and there are still import/duties considerations depending on what is being sent.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.