Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Pricing of the Aquatica A300 Housing

Started by yahsemtough ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Pricing of the Aquatica A300 Housing

18 posts
  1. Blake just got back to me with some pricing on the Aquatica A300 housing for the Canon Digital Rebel. Some preliminary review notes were posted on wetpixel earlier and are in the review section.

     

    Single bulkhead pricing is $1569 USD

  2. Hi Todd,

     

    Since you're going through this excercise right now, mind helping out fellow Wetpixel members? How about putting together a cost estimate to house the Rebel using:

     

    Aquatica 300D Housing: $1569

    8" dome port w/ Shade: $

    Flat Port: $

    Single TLC dual arm setup (or equivalent): $

    Single Sync cord: $

     

    Sigma 15mm Fisheye: $

    Sigma 50mm Macro lens: $

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Sigma 15mm Fisheye: $

    Sigma 50mm Macro lens: $

    Sigma 15mm FE $330

    Sigma 50mm macro $220

     

    from pickacamera.com

  4. Single TLC (ULCS) dual arm setup (or equivalent): $233

    (2 8" arms, 3 clamps, 1 ball adapter for strobe, 1 ball adapter for handle)

     

    Single Sync cord: $80

    (ikelite to ikelite or nik bulkhead to ike strobe)

  5. Blake just got back to me with some pricing on the Aquatica A300 housing for the Canon Digital Rebel. Some preliminary review notes were posted on wetpixel earlier and are in the review section.

     

    Single bulkhead pricing is $1569 USD

    I wonder if it's too late to ask him to put in a button for the DOF preview button. I don't see it in the photos. It's near the bottom of the camera by the lens mount. Pushing it closes the aperture to your setting and let you preview your DOF. A side effect is that it really locks the focus.

  6. Yeah, I need a complete kit with strobes.

     

    Jack

  7. OK, I couldn't resist so I got the port prices off B&H. So here is the summary:

     

    Aquatica 300D Housing: $1569

    8" dome port w/ Shade: $312+109

    Flat Port: $260

    Single TLC dual arm setup (or equivalent): $233

    Single Sync cord: $80

     

    Housing Subtotal: $2563 US

     

    Ikelite DS125 Strobe: $560

     

    Sigma 15mm Fisheye: $330

    Sigma 50mm Macro lens: $220

     

    Lens Subtotal: $550

    Camera Kit w/ 18-55 lens: $900

     

    Grand Total: $4,573

  8. Blake is looking into the dof preview button and the possibility of making it part of the housing.

     

    I will post when he gets back to me.

     

    ps Oustanding help with questions from Aquatica today. As per usual. You have to appreciate great service.

  9. One minor issue James, the price you listed for the DS-125 is without a charger. Add another $110 for that, or look into getting the strobe, arms, and sync cord as a package for $920-ish.

  10. Blake is looking into the dof preview button and the possibility of making it part of the housing.

     

    I will post when he gets back to me.

     

    ps Oustanding help with questions from Aquatica today. As per usual. You have to appreciate great service.

    You mean something useful may come out of this chatter! :D

  11. In answer to another question I have been asked on the housing and changinf the aperature (ie you need to hold down a button and then change it) here is the response from Aquatica:

     

    "You will be able to hold down this button,we are using the same system that we use on our A5 housing.This knob has a thread on it and about one turn will push the button down or release it.If you look at the picture of the housing,you will notice that this knob is bigger and is also black."

     

    I say Bravo!

  12. Further, the camera will still take pictures with that control engaged, so there is no worry to unlock it after making an adjustment.

     

    I change aperture far more than I change shutter speed, and with this control, an adjustment can be made without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

     

    Ikelite is using a very similar control.

  13. I wonder if it's too late to ask him to put in a button for the DOF preview button. I don't see it in the photos. It's near the bottom of the camera by the lens mount. Pushing it closes the aperture to your setting and let you preview your DOF

     

    Blake asked my opinion on this one. I couldn't come with a reason for using the DOF underwater, but I was unaware of the focus lock issue with the Canon.

     

    1) Take your camera into a dimly lit room. With macro lens, set aperture to f/22. Tell me what you see.

     

    2) If you could actually see anything well enough to judge DOF, how would it impact your settings? I minimize my aperture without getting diffraction and use as much strobe power as necessary for macro work.

     

    While you may make a case for it for wide angle, the issues remain the same. Underwater light will make it virtually impossible to see anything. You will still be trying to stop down as far as the ambient exposure will allow, or just going with a set aperture. You will focus on the primary foreground subject and let the background go to wherever it will based on the aperture setting. Using hyperfocal distances would be more practical than trying to use the DOF preview.

  14. James,

     

    Where are you getting those prices? Looks like mix and match MSRP and someone's discounted prices.

  15. I concur with you on the DOF button now that I have seen it. Basically for the exact reasons you stated.

  16. Hi George,

     

    You are correct. The housing price is what Todd said - which I am assuming is MSRP from Blake.

     

    The rest of the prices are from B and H like I said in my post.

     

    Cheers

    James

  17. Sorry, I missed it. I speed read and miss a few things.

  18. No problem,

     

    Thanks for pointing out that it's not an apples to apples comparison. Who knows what the actual "street price" of the housing will be.

     

    But the overall price is going to be LESS, not more, which is good.

     

    Cheers

    James

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.