Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Experience Playa

Started by BC-SeaDragon ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Experience Playa

9 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    The following is a promo video that I made for a friends web design company of the Playa Del Carmen, Mexico area. The video will be used on hotel websites to show some of the things the area has to offer which has underwater shots from snorkeling, cenotes and diving in Cozumel. There is already a few things I have changed but wanting some additional critique before I pass it on. Put yourself in the tourist seat and see if this would make you want a holiday.

     

    I am far from a pro but absolutely love doing this, any input from the experienced or amateurs like myself would be greatly appreciated!

     

    Cheers

     

    Kelly

     

    [vimeohd]20792728[/vimeohd]

  2. Nice video. Good length, footage and music and variety of shots. Your early topside shots could have benefited from some relaxing/smiling models. The place looks a bit deserted. 1:32-1:36 is a great illustration of when to lock exposure.

  3. I think it's great. There's a lot of work gone in there, well done.

     

    My personal opinion, and this is being super critical, I think that in a couple of scenes the exposure could have been a bit better, only a couple though, examples are 10s and also 1:00 where the colours could have been a bit deeper and it lacks a bit of contrast, also the parasail suffers a bit but that's mainly because you shot it in the middle of a bright day.

     

    And I think you could have benefitted a little by showing more people shots that would help to ground the viewer a bit.

     

     

     

    They're small things.

     

    I like the choice of music, the cuts are spot on and flow very well, overall I think it's a job well done!

  4. Cheers for the remarks guys,

     

    I do agree with all comments, there was for sure a lack of tanned good looking people to add a little incentive to possible travelers. I struggled with this in past work simply because I hate filming people! haha. Either way it would help and I may change that.

     

    Also agreed with the exposure and contrast of a few shots...although I didnt mind it too much just so it didnt get to repetitive with the typical caribbean blue waters but I'm sure not to many viewers would oppose that either. I was chapped about the parasail shot though as I requested to stay closer to the shore when we were going away from the sun, instead I was so far away that all of the shots were sub par.

     

    Length was another one of my concerns and it might be on the brink of to long but at the same time I was ok with it due to constant change of subject/scenery. This place really has a lot of stuff to do!

     

    Anyways glad you liked it and really appreciate the feedback.

  5. Cheers for the remarks guys,

     

    I do agree with all comments, there was for sure a lack of tanned good looking people to add a little incentive to possible travelers. I struggled with this in past work simply because I hate filming people! haha. Either way it would help and I may change that.

     

    Also agreed with the exposure and contrast of a few shots...although I didnt mind it too much just so it didnt get to repetitive with the typical caribbean blue waters but I'm sure not to many viewers would oppose that either. I was chapped about the parasail shot though as I requested to stay closer to the shore when we were going away from the sun, instead I was so far away that all of the shots were sub par.

     

    Length was another one of my concerns and it might be on the brink of to long but at the same time I was ok with it due to constant change of subject/scenery. This place really has a lot of stuff to do!

     

    Anyways glad you liked it and really appreciate the feedback.

     

     

     

    Filming people is difficult especially when you don't know them, and walking around the beach filming people isn't the easiest :lol: But there are easy targets - people who are trying to sell you something will quite happily appear on camera smiling or waving if they think they're going to get a sale.

     

    I think the length is good, it keeps it interesting throughout.

  6. Kelly I hope your friend really appreciates this video as it has probably saved them from forking out a couple of thousand dollars! I've seen people spend that much and still not get something as good as this. Well done and perhaps you should consider and change of profession!! :lol:

     

    Cheers, Simon

  7. Kelly I hope your friend really appreciates this video as it has probably saved them from forking out a couple of thousand dollars! I've seen people spend that much and still not get something as good as this. Well done and perhaps you should consider and change of profession!! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

     

    Simon,

     

    The video was an exchange for a website that I can post video on and hopefully use to get future work as I continue to travel. A change of profession (other than filming open water classes) is something I would love to do and as I continue to learn and improve my skills someday the opportunity may come. Not the easiest transition but everyone has to start somewhere and I don't plan to stop whether I am being paid, getting free diving or just filming because I enjoy it.

     

    I really appreciate the inspiring comment.

     

    Cheers

     

    Kelly

  8. Good work, was it all shot with the same camera? Some of shots look awesome some look like they have a heap of artifacts.

     

    I really enjoyed it.

  9. Thanks Jonny,

     

    Yes it was all shot with a Sony XR-500. Exported from CS5 to Vimeo HD 1280x720.

     

    Any idea what would cause this?

     

    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum (link to the same video minus watermark and credits)

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.