Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NEX 5 White Balance Error - 9900k M9

Started by dunfield ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

NEX 5 White Balance Error - 9900k M9

4 posts
  1. I am using the NEX 5 for my first dive trip. We are in Bonaire and the custom white balance function gives an error when I use it underwater. I use a white card to set the white balance. With the NEX 5 it works above water but not below where I get the following message:

     

    White Balance Error - 9900k M9

     

    I have used the technique of setting the white balance using a white card with our Canon SD870IS and it has worked extremely well. The NEX 5 white balance adjustment is not working and all photos are blue.

     

    I am now shooting in RAW and JPG hoping to be able to adjust pictures and video colours later but I suspect it will be very labour intensive.

     

    Anyone else using custom white balance underwater on a NEX 5.

     

    I am typically using the Aperature Priority mode with F8.

     

    Three days left of diving and I would love to be able to adjust video and photo colours in real-time.

     

    Thanks

     

    Jim

  2. bummer!

     

    For stills , I find raw works much better and easier than fooling with any WB issues underwater.

     

    For video it's going to be more of a problem.

     

    Perhaps using a magic filter, or UR-pro would bring the color within the range that the manual WB could work underwater...??

     

    Good luck.

  3. On DP Review, folks are recommending I take a photo of the white card at every new depth and then use it to set the WB adjustment and apply to all photos in the section. This likely won't work for video though.

     

    Thanks

     

    Jim

  4. Any luck setting the white balance for video? I'm planning to get a NEX... now I'm not so sure if white balance doesn't work well underwater. :)

     

    OK, after reading this Magic Filter page I ordered a blue-water filter to try out on a P&S first. If it works out as well as shown in the article, getting a NEX/Nauticam will still be on this year. ;)

    Edited by A.Y.
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.