Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NEX 5 wide angle lens adapters for Nauticam. Which one?

Started by Guamrider ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

NEX 5 wide angle lens adapters for Nauticam. Which one?

8 posts
  1. OK, a friend of mine is trying to decide (before buying anything) which of the following adapters for the NEX 5 16mm lens will give him an overall wider image on the Nauticam housing with the wide dome port. The VCL-ECF1 (fisheye) or the VCL-ECU1 (wide angle conversion??? I'm assuming, only by the name, that the fisheye will but he doesn't like the fisheye effect on lenses. I don't shoot stills, but told him I knew a forum that just might have the answers. Ideas???

  2. I am using 16mm with VCL-ECF1 on Nauticam(you may find some sample pictures in other post) & I like it very much.

    My other fisheye lenses are Nikon 10.5mm DX & 16mm FF and 'fisheye effect' on VCL-ECF1(15mm??) is not much when

    it is compare to other fisheyes, IMHO. I did not tested VCL-ECU1 yet.

     

    Sam

    Edited by shchae
  3. The fisheye is the wider of the two adapters and it woks quite well the the 4.33 Wide angle dome port.

     

    I have attached a link to the NauticamUSA site with some of my photos from the fisheye lens, it also has a link to my full review of the system in UWPMAG.com

     

    http://nauticamusa.com/?cat=23

     

    Phil Rudin

  4. The fisheye is the wider of the two adapters and it woks quite well the the 4.33 Wide angle dome port.

     

    I have attached a link to the NauticamUSA site with some of my photos from the fisheye lens, it also has a link to my full review of the system in UWPMAG.com

     

    http://nauticamusa.com/?cat=23

     

    Phil Rudin

     

    Thanks to both for the answers. I'll pass them on. Phil, it was your review on the housing that I recommended he read. He based his decision to get it from that. Very factual review. Thanks. Hell, I might even get one. It would be nice to have one camera that takes both decent video and stills.

  5. Thanks Guam, we are trying to get at least one of these systems to the workshop I will be teaching in Cozumel April 16-23, 2011 for MexicanDiver.com.

     

    Additional information on that event can be found at, http://www.wix.com/mexicandiver/magazine

     

    Phil Rudin

  6. One other thing to consider between these two add-on lenses is if you are shooting with one strobe you have a chance to light the frame using the rectilinear lens (100 degree diagonal FOV). The fisheye would be tough to light even with two strobes. For available light shooting, I'd go with the fisheye, you can de-fish it later if you want to in software. Personally I'm going for both, a $120 add on lens doesn't seem so steep when we just dropped about two and a half grand on the case and ports!

     

    Quick calculation of FOV:

     

    Fisheye (15mm)

    HFOV 147

    VFOV 94

    DFOV 184

     

     

    Rectilinear (18mm)

    HFOV 90

    VFOV 67

    DFOV 100

  7. I have the Nex 5 in a Aquapazza Housing, have only used it with the flat port and 16mm lens so far. It is quite wide with the flat port and fine for the caves and video so far, look forward to trying the extra INON options that are available.

     

    Surprised at how well it holds focus, here is a link to one of my first youtube uploads.

     

    First Video with Nex 5

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.