Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Question for Ikelite users

Started by Aigar Sisask ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Question for Ikelite users

13 posts
  1. Hello

     

    After few dive trip and using Ixsus and G11 camera set I decided to buy Ikelite kit for my Nikon D90. I like to use 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX lens.

    So. I have received my new set:

    1. Housing for Nikon D90.

    3. New port body 5510.11

    4. 8" Dome port 5510.45

    5. Flat port to 105mm Macro f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikon lens

    6. Two Ikelite DS160 strobe.

     

    First I noticed that I made wrong conclusion that I need this new port body 5510.11 by 10-24mm lens. I need 5510.22 port body and I will receive this one week.

     

    But after I installed flat port and dome port, including port body 5510.11, I noticed and even feel that ports slightly moving after four port locking locks is locked positions. Is it normal? Is there something what I need to do or did something wrong? If I see closely locking systems, then I can see that there is small opening between port and locks.

    Here is one picture to show what I mean.

    housing_locking.jpg

     

    I checked and this port lockes dont go no more closer.

  2. Yes, this is normal. I also have Ikelite for the D90, and there is a slight movement between the port body and the housing.

     

    This has been asked about before :)http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...607&hl=port

     

    If you are worried about the port rotating, you can use a small piece of tape on the edge of the port, so it is taped to the housing. I have not yet, but am very careful not to rotate the port before getting in. The 5510.11 fits differently to the others, and has a port lock, to stop it rotating 'off'.

     

    The pressure from the water forces the port into the housing.

     

    Hope this helps :)

  3. Thank you for "calm" me down :) and pointing this topick.

    It was very helphful.

  4. I finally had time to make pool test. I used flat port. And I had a leak. Yeah I had camera inside I noticed this very quick and saved my camera.

    In this moment I am not shure what I did wrong, if I did. I taked camera out and made new test to see where is leak. It was between housing and port. Then I started to look my flat port quite closer look. I noticed one strange thing.

    Here is picture:

    DSC_0006.jpg

     

    There is three place where this port is not complitly round. Marked in red circles. Is this normal or it might be production failure?

    After installing this port I can see inside housing this:

    DSC_0023.jpg

    Is any ideas what I need to check also? I have planned to make tomorrow new test and using dome port.

    Edited by Aigar Sisask
  5. I don't think that's right. Looks like it's been ejected from the mould before it's cool enough. The important part is of course at the O ring seating, not the extreme end of the port.

     

    I would be going back to the dealer or Ike direct with that.

  6. I don't think that's right. Looks like it's been ejected from the mould before it's cool enough. The important part is of course at the O ring seating, not the extreme end of the port.

     

    I would be going back to the dealer or Ike direct with that.

    I second that, it shouldn't look like that. Return to dealer or Ike direct....

  7. I can't tell from the pix. Are we looking at the o-ring?

     

    If we are looking at the port, without o-ring, then it is a bad port.

     

    If the o-ring is sticking out funny, then this is caused by improper assembly, and then putting pressure on it, where the o-ring is extruded out.

     

    In this case the o-ring will need to be replaced.

     

    Always try a new housing without camera, until you know how to assemble it.

  8. I can't tell from the pix. Are we looking at the o-ring?

     

    If we are looking at the port, without o-ring, then it is a bad port.

     

    If the o-ring is sticking out funny, then this is caused by improper assembly, and then putting pressure on it, where the o-ring is extruded out.

     

    Port is installed with o-ring. If we looking this picture weher housing and port is installed, then after this "groove" is black line. This is o-ring. In fact o-ring seams very OK. Not sticking out funny.

     

    To Balrog:

    Yes I was thinkin also that most important is o-ring seating not this end of this port. So I made some mesuring. O-ring seating is different this places where is this 3 strange place. Its not complitly rounded and same diametre. I think that wount let o-ring be there wher it must be. I also cheked and mesured dome port base o-ring seating place and this complitöy rounded and same diametre.

  9. Yes Aigar, because it is a piston type seal rather than a compression seal, it must have the correct diameter in both the the housing and the port.

     

    If the diameter is smaller at the 3 places where it was picked out of the mould then it will leak. Unfortunately you will have to return it to Ikelite as a manufacturing fault.

     

    I hope they give you good service and you are not without it for long. If you do not have a local dealer and have to ship it back, perhaps a good email with some photos might speed up the replacement.

  10. I would try sending some pictures to ikelite, and see what they say about it.

     

    Also try it again, with the dome port, and no camera, and see what you get.

     

    Do you have good instructions and idea for how to deal with lubing the o-rings, and assemble the port??

     

    Good luck.

    Don

  11. I made today new pool test with dome port and it worked like it should be. No leak at all.

    I contacted Ikelite distributor and see what they answer.

  12. good to figure it out.

     

    While you are waiting, you could try it again with the flat port, and see if it was something simple, like a twisted o-ring...

  13. Never, ever, do a pool test on a new housing with a camera inside it! I always fill mine with toilet tissue as it gives a good indication of where, if any, leaks are coming from (obviously if the whole of the tissue is saturated there is a bit of a problem...but at least it's not on the camera :) ). The pics of the housing do seem weir so I'd certainly be taking it back).

    Steve

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.