Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Special effects filters

Started by tdpriest ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Special effects filters

5 posts
  1. Has anyone used a Cokin special effects filter in front of a port? Do the optics work at a water/filter interface? How might you mount a "P" type filter holder to the port? I tried yesterday, and gave up after a couple of ideas failed dismally...

     

    Alex T (Alsky72) showed me some very interesting "in-camera" special effects shots created at an invitation photoshoot, suggesting that it could be done.

     

    Tim

     

    :(

  2. I have used starburst and prism filter back on film. I showed them in a talk (with slides) many years ago at BSoUP, I think. But these were inside the housing.

     

    I guess using them externally would depend on how the filter worked. Ones that use surface effects (on the glass) I suspect would change. Those which are sandwiches would be OK.

     

    Alex

  3. Ta!

     

    T'other Alex seemed to suggest that the radial blur filter did work outside the camera, leaving one the option of taking both standard and effects shots.

     

    Tim

     

    :(

  4. Maybe it needs to be sandwiched behind a clear glass filter and therefore in air?

     

    A lot of on the day competitions (in fact all I know) are judged at screen res - so you need to worry about loosing image quality for an effect.

     

    Although, since I am judging the BSoUP Splash In this year, perhaps we shouldn't be having this conversation!

     

    Alex

  5. Now. whatever made you think about a competition... :( ?

     

    Tim

     

    :B):

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.