Mixed bag, I think. The older 105mm hunts rather slower when in autofocus mode. Some consider it a nuisance. On the other hand, some think the new VR hunts too quickly. As for quality, I think, at least, the newer VR is not an obvious improvement. This is based on my use, and merely subjective, not extensive study. The older one is a very good lens.
The newer VR is heavier, and for Subal at least, requires a larger port. The extra weight means a float collar is needed to achieve the same buoyancy. I purchased the VR a couple of years ago, and having done so, use it almost exclusively. I rather prefer the faster hunt. I still have the older one in the drawer, along with the Subal port. I keep them as back-up, though I don't bring them on trips. Too much extra weight, so I bring the 60mm instead.As I've never had any kind of flooding or lens problems with the 105mm, the 60mm never gets used either. Nice to have along, just in case.
If you're looking for something used, you can write me if you wish, but be aware I leave the country in 8 days.
Some review info:
http://www.bythom.com/105AFSlens.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105af.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm