Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

7D --> 550d or GH2

Started by bkkchriss4 ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

7D --> 550d or GH2

19 posts
  1. I am looking to "downgrade" from my 7D to something smaller, more travel friendly and overall a less expensive rig. I do not shoot my 7D or DSLR on land, so this is purely an underwater rig, hence the decision to downsize.

     

    As I have lens/ports for Canon lenses with the Nauticam housing, probably looking to stay with Nauticam and get either a 550D or wait and see what the GH2 looks like.

     

    Anyone with experience with both the 7D and 550d have any comments/comparisons? I am quite familiar with the different specs on each camera, but more interested in experience with shooting underwater.

     

    The GH2 looks like it could be a very interesting option for an even smaller rig, and the video is pretty stellar - although I am def more of a still shooter and in that regard I would guess the 550d is a better still camera.

     

    Or do you think I am crazy to "downgrade?" Haha.

  2. I am looking to "downgrade" from my 7D to something smaller, more travel friendly and overall a less expensive rig. I do not shoot my 7D or DSLR on land, so this is purely an underwater rig, hence the decision to downsize.

     

    As I have lens/ports for Canon lenses with the Nauticam housing, probably looking to stay with Nauticam and get either a 550D or wait and see what the GH2 looks like.

     

    Anyone with experience with both the 7D and 550d have any comments/comparisons? I am quite familiar with the different specs on each camera, but more interested in experience with shooting underwater.

     

    The GH2 looks like it could be a very interesting option for an even smaller rig, and the video is pretty stellar - although I am def more of a still shooter and in that regard I would guess the 550d is a better still camera.

     

    Or do you think I am crazy to "downgrade?" Haha.

     

    hi i am perplexed why you would want to go from a 7D to a 550D as the difference in housing size would not be that great and it is only part of what you have to take when you travel eg:-ports,strobes, strobe arms,lens,battery chargers, the list goes on,it seems an expensive exercise for little gain, you have a good housing with the nauticam, i have the 7D and am very happy with its performance underwater,why go with something less when you have something more already

    Edited by scuba-s
  3. You're crazy to downgrade :( especially if it's to travel with 14.5 kg instead of 15 kg. is it worth it? :B):

  4. I don't think it is worth it to go from the 7D to the 550D for reasons already stated. I also don't think you will like moving to the GH2 because of slower autofocus and shutter lag... I know I couldn't handle that. I am currently diving with a guy who shoots with a G12 and shooting fast moving fish is really hard for him. It is hard for me too... but much easier.

     

    To be honest, I am thinking of selling my rig in a few months but not to downgrade. I want to upgrade to the 5D mkiii (when it comes out) and then focus on topside photography.... maybe even leave the underwater stuff behind for awhile and then come back when I move to a place that I can dive on a regular basis instead of only on vacation.

  5. Have you thought about the 600D?

  6. I am looking to "downgrade" from my 7D to something smaller, more travel friendly and overall a less expensive rig. I do not shoot my 7D or DSLR on land, so this is purely an underwater rig, hence the decision to downsize.

     

    As I have lens/ports for Canon lenses with the Nauticam housing, probably looking to stay with Nauticam and get either a 550D or wait and see what the GH2 looks like.

     

    Anyone with experience with both the 7D and 550d have any comments/comparisons? I am quite familiar with the different specs on each camera, but more interested in experience with shooting underwater.

     

    The GH2 looks like it could be a very interesting option for an even smaller rig, and the video is pretty stellar - although I am def more of a still shooter and in that regard I would guess the 550d is a better still camera.

     

    Or do you think I am crazy to "downgrade?" Haha.

     

    I've shot both quite a bit. I don't think it's that crazy. I've said it before - T2i/550D is, in my opinion, the best value in a camera to take underwater. Though the housing is not a lot smaller, the camera is small, light and travels well. (Frankly, I think you should buy 3 or 4 550D housings just to make sure you have enough... :( )

     

    Now, that being said, why you'd want to leave the 7D fold is puzzling. 7D is an amazing camera. I can pretty much shoot anything I want and 7D is my choice today, and not likely to change soon. (though I do now have a D7000 to play with. Took me forever to figure out how to change from AF-A to AF-C - that little focus lever on the front gets me every time I use a Nikon, and now with D7000 it's actually a button and a lever... :-).

     

    As for GH2, it's apparently no secret that Nauticam is working on a housing. GH2 is certainly well regarded in the m4/3 world. I've not had the chance to try one yet so can't really add any value there.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  7. I also don't think you will like moving to the GH2 because of slower autofocus and shutter lag... I know I couldn't handle that. I am currently diving with a guy who shoots with a G12 and shooting fast moving fish is really hard for him. It is hard for me too... but much easier.

     

    I hope you don't think the GH2 focus speed is like the G12. They are not even close to being in the same class. Here is what DPReview said about it.

     

    The camera features the world’s fastest*3 level Light Speed AF of approx. 0.1 second*3which is achieved by reducing the detection time for focusing by doubling the drive speed from 60 fps to 120 fps. Not only the accuracy but also the speed excels that of the high-end DSLRs with phase difference AF with the advanced contrast AF system in DMC-GH2.

     

    DPReview Preview of the GH2

  8. I hope you don't think the GH2 focus speed is like the G12. They are not even close to being in the same class. Here is what DPReview said about it.

     

    The camera features the world’s fastest*3 level Light Speed AF of approx. 0.1 second*3which is achieved by reducing the detection time for focusing by doubling the drive speed from 60 fps to 120 fps. Not only the accuracy but also the speed excels that of the high-end DSLRs with phase difference AF with the advanced contrast AF system in DMC-GH2.

     

    DPReview Preview of the GH2

    the GH2 may beat a DSLR in liveview AF but the DSLR is streets ahead when it comes to normal viewfinder mode AF ,which is what the vast majority of divers with DSLR use ,give me the viewfinder any day

  9. In live view, it is not even a contest. Most DSLRs are 1-2 seconds for full auto focus.

     

    The gh2 is .25 seconds full auto focus and shutter lag. Completely as fast as the best normal viewfinder AF mode.

     

    They have caught up, and surpassed. It can do it live view, or with the best EVF in the world.

     

    Do not think they are worlds behind any more. Only canon, nikon, and oly's contrast detect auto focus, remain worlds behind.

     

    Pany and Sony have it nailed.

  10. In live view, it is not even a contest. Most DSLRs are 1-2 seconds for full auto focus.

     

    The gh2 is .25 seconds full auto focus and shutter lag. Completely as fast as the best normal viewfinder AF mode.

     

    They have caught up, and surpassed. It can do it live view, or with the best EVF in the world.

     

    Do not think they are worlds behind any more. Only canon, nikon, and oly's contrast detect auto focus, remain worlds behind.

     

    Pany and Sony have it nailed.

     

    Exactly, Things are changing and big cameras with mirrors are not way out in front any more when it comes to speed and quality. You have to have a pro level DSLR now if you want to be faster then the GH2. The fact that it does it with the viewfinder or live view (They are both technically live view as the VF has a small lcd screen) is just icing on the cake. I will also add that the viewfinder is crystal clear and better then the big screen on the back. One of the big benefits of loosing the mirror is the lens's are smaller because they are closer to the sensor. That's all weight and space. My wife had a housed G11 and we sold it because of shutter lag mostly. She is now using my old Panasonic GF1 and I upgraded to the Panasonic GH2. The GH2 is a bit bigger but still much smaller then my friends housed DSLR. Add to that it has the best video on the market short of a $2k+ dedicated video camera and it is a very small and versatile system. The one big drawback is the need for new lens's if you want auto focus and IS. There are some very nice lens's including a 8mm fisheye with 180 degree view and a 7-14mm WA with 114 degree view ( I love this lens).

    Edited by underexposed
  11. Thanks everyone for all the comments.

     

    I am aware of the limitations that the m4/3 might have, but all reviews so far sound pretty favorable about the GH2 - what that means for us uwp is still to be seen.

     

    I think the 7D is a great camera, don't get me wrong, and I I actually used the camera on land (and the funds allowed) I would keep it. But as it is I don't shoot with the Canon on land and therefore will use whatever I replace it with as a solely uw camera, hence my desire to minimize my rig.

  12. Most DSLRs are 1-2 seconds for full auto focus.

    When did you last use a newer DSLR? 1-2 seconds may make sense for racking from 1 foot to infinity; but in practice with something like the D7000 using the viewfinder with 3-D tracking, you are way off.

  13. When did you last use a newer DSLR? 1-2 seconds may make sense for racking from 1 foot to infinity; but in practice with something like the D7000 using the viewfinder with 3-D tracking, you are way off.

     

    We're talking live view here.

     

    The d7000 has made *huge strides here* :( it is down to 1 second.

  14. We're talking live view here.

     

    The d7000 has made *huge strides here* :( it is down to 1 second.

    A buddy brought his new D7000 in to the office today. AF is outstanding (near to oo), live view may be 1 second or so for near to oo. IMHO, 1 sec. lock is too slow for action. As mentioned before, we don't to near to oo much u/w.

    Bob

  15. A buddy brought his new D7000 in to the office today. AF is outstanding (near to oo), live view may be 1 second or so for near to oo. IMHO, 1 sec. lock is too slow for action. As mentioned before, we don't to near to oo much u/w.

    Bob

     

    As far as focus speed all 3 of those cameras are about the same when using the viewfinder. The nice thing about the GH2 is you can use the live view and get the same speed. You have to admit it's not a bad thing to have the flexability to use either without shutter lag. Using the live view underwater can be a big + in tight places and again it will still be as fast as a D7000 in viewfinder mode. I think some people are having a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that this camera is in the same league even though it has no mirror and is made by Panasonic. It's when you start putting the lens's and camera, ports and housing into a suitcase or out on a dive that you realize how much smaller it is because it has no mirror. When DPReview compared it to its closest competition it gave it a rating of 79 vs. 80 for the D7000 and 77 for the 550D and 79 for the 60D. Clearly it can hang with these very nice cameras. I will admit though that you guys with the big riggs look really cool. :(

    Edited by underexposed
  16. Another thing to consider with the GH2 is strobe synch. I can't get my GF1 to synch with my Inon Z240's in manual mode. I always have to use optical cables in STTL mode. This limits the shutter to just 1/160. Cycle time is also slower since the camera's internal flash has to charge up. Bummer!

     

    I assume the GH2's flash protocol is the same as the GF1.

  17. The just recently posted DPReview of the GH2 has me SERIOUSLY considering that option.

     

    Sync speed seems to still be 1/160th - what is everyone shooting that they need faster than that? Seems fast enough to block out bright ambient light for you macro, and also fast enough to freeze most action? But I am just assuming here so please let me know if that is not your experience.

     

    The only thing I am not too sold on yet is the very high (comparatively) prices of the better m4/3 lenses. Specifically the 8mm fisheye, the 7-14mm rect., also the 45mm macro are all $700+ lenses. Quite expensive.

  18. The just recently posted DPReview of the GH2 has me SERIOUSLY considering that option.

     

    Sync speed seems to still be 1/160th - what is everyone shooting that they need faster than that? Seems fast enough to block out bright ambient light for you macro, and also fast enough to freeze most action? But I am just assuming here so please let me know if that is not your experience.

     

    The only thing I am not too sold on yet is the very high (comparatively) prices of the better m4/3 lenses. Specifically the 8mm fisheye, the 7-14mm rect., also the 45mm macro are all $700+ lenses. Quite expensive.

     

    I have been shooting the GF1 with the 1/160 sync for a year and a half. When I first got it I was worried about the sinc speed but have found that to be unwarranted. I don't think I've missed many flash shots do to motion blur underwater. I don't even think about it anymore and find myself shooting 1/125 a lot. I don't have the fisheye but love the 45mm and the 7-14mm. They are all I use underwater and both work wonderfully. I think they are excellent lens's. They are sharp and the 7-14mm is surprisingly sharp in the corners considering how wide it is. Underwater you have ports to deal with so that affects the super wide edges but that will depend on what housing and port you choose I guess. If I lost or damaged one of these lens's I would not even thing twice about replacing them, I would have to. I flirted with the idea of getting the Oly 9-18mm and am glad I didn't. I love the 7mm 114 degree AOV with no distortion.

     

    I also did some tests and with the over-sized sensor and when you switch to the 3:2 or 16:9 format it gets even wider then 114 degrees! Not sure how much but noticeable.

    Edited by underexposed
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.