Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica or Nauticam (for 550D/T2i)?

Started by Tim_E ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica or Nauticam (for 550D/T2i)?

7 posts
  1. I've used compacts underwater for several years using the manufacturer's own brand and Ikelite housings, and used Canon DSLR's on land, and I'm hoping to move to a DSLR set up underwater. Most of my diving is in Jersey (temperate/green water from shore, RIB and hard boat) with the occasional tropical water trip. Having scoured this and other forums it seems that the Aquatica and Nauticam housings seem to be robust while still light enough to travel with. Unfortunately I've seen neither and won't be able to before my next trip so I'm having to make a decision based on other's reviews and comments.

     

    From what I can tell both manufacturers seem to be on a par in regard to construction quality and customer back up. Has anyone who's seen/handled both noticed any difference in quality, handling, ease of use of controls, or any useful feature found on one or the other? Although ergonomics are a personal thing, are there any differences that stand out in general (for example do the rocker buttons on the Nauticam make a noticeable difference)? Alternatively does anyone have any 'niggles' with the housing they bought?

     

    I am probably thinking of a housing for the Canon 550D/T2i. I found some posts from last year about leaks coming from the rocker buttons on the Nauticam housings, but these seem to have been sorted out by the manufacturer. I have also seen a comment about rust on the housing latches, although the 550D housing uses plastic levers rather than latches anyway. The only other differences I have found at the moment is that the Nauticam housing is slightly more expensive but comes with a leak detector (although I haven't worked out a total cost once ports and extension rings, gears etc are factored in - I'm still working out what I'd need for the Tokina 10-17mm and Canon 60mm whilst still possibly allowing the use of the kit lens and my existing Sigma 10-20mm).

     

    As a last question, would I have to send the housing back to Canada or China to get it serviced or are there Aquatica/Nauticam technicians in the UK (this was one thing that put me off the Sea and Sea housing despite it being cheaper)?

     

    Thanks

     

    Tim

  2. Hi Tim,

     

    If you are around London and going to the London Dive SHow this weekend, you'd be able to see both Nauticam and Aquatica products side by side.

     

    If not, I can easily arrange for you to have a look at a housing, based in Bournemouth so you can get the ferry over from Jersey to Poole.

     

    In answer to your last question, you could have your Nauticam housing serviced by myself here in the UK.

  3. As a last question, would I have to send the housing back to Canada or China to get it serviced or are there Aquatica/Nauticam technicians in the UK (this was one thing that put me off the Sea and Sea housing despite it being cheaper)?

     

    Thanks

     

    Tim

     

     

    Just a point: I had my Sea & Sea housing serviced recently by Sea & Sea in Paignton, Devon.

  4. Tim, The T2i Aquatica housing will be at our booth at the London show as well, we have a service center right there in the UK.

  5. I'm in a similar situation to the original poster, but unfortunately I don't have access to both housings to try them out either. I have a Nauticam dealer nearby, but I'm not aware of a Aquatica dealer with a showroom that carries this housing within driving distance from me.

     

    There seems to be lots of people who love their Nauticam housing and people who have had leaks/other problems with their Nauticam housing here and elsewhere online, but I haven't been able to find any real first hand accounts of the Aquatica housing one way or another. Is anybody here able to provide such an account or experiences about either of these two housings?

     

    The Nauticam comes out to be a little bit more expensive for me, but the price difference is negligible compared to find the right housing.

  6. I also was doing the same searching as you for my D7000. It helped when I went to the beneath the sea show to see the housings first hand. I handled the sea & sea, the seacam, aqatica and nauticam. I ruled out the sea & sea and seacam because of ergomics. They are nice housings and may fit you. Also the canon T2i might also be different button arrangment that will agree with you. I went with the Nauticam because of the port attachment and it felt a little better in my hands for the controls. It was a very hard decision. The Aquatica is a very very nice housing. It is made very well at a little better price. Find one in the camera model you are looking for and handle it.

  7. I also was doing the same searching as you for my D7000. It helped when I went to the beneath the sea show to see the housings first hand. I handled the sea & sea, the seacam, aqatica and nauticam. I ruled out the sea & sea and seacam because of ergomics. They are nice housings and may fit you. Also the canon T2i might also be different button arrangment that will agree with you. I went with the Nauticam because of the port attachment and it felt a little better in my hands for the controls. It was a very hard decision. The Aquatica is a very very nice housing. It is made very well at a little better price. Find one in the camera model you are looking for and handle it.

     

    Unfortunately, our local annual scuba show just happened and I didn't go. The nearest Aquatica dealer with a storefront is about 3 hours away, but they appear to only sell the higher end Aquatica housings and not this one. I could go to a shop in Vancouver, BC too but customs and exchange rates make purchasing there unfeasible and I'd feel bad browsing in a shop where I have no intention of buying.

     

    There is a local Nauticam dealer in Seattle though, which I probably should check out. The 9.5% extra for local sales tax adds significant cost but the in person service may be worth it in the end.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.