Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 15-30

Started by StephenFrink ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 15-30

6 posts
  1. I was looking at the specs on the Sigma 15-30mm lens, particularly in the context of a chat I saw on www.robgalbraith.com recently regarding wide angle lenses for the Canon EOS1Ds.

     

    Then I saw this animation on http://www.burren.cx/photo/ultrawide (weitwinkel)/1530v1740.html that shows how the front element moves dramatically during the zoom process. Seems this would be a very difficult lens to house behind a dome due to shifts in nodal point. Anyone used this underwater effectively?

  2. Hi Stephen,

     

    I had this lens for Nikon mount for a while, but I traded it w/ Tim Rock for his Nikon 18-35ED. The large size and moving front element didn't make it look good for UW.

     

    I believe Andi from Digideep on this board has shot the Sigma 15-30 underwater.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James / Stephen,

     

    Sigma also makes a 12-24 F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical / HSM with an angle of view of 122-84 degrees. Do either of you know anything about this lens or if it can be used behind a dome? I saw it yesterday mentioned in a B&H Catalog.

     

    Doug

  4. Thanks James!

  5. I believe Andi from Digideep on this board has shot the Sigma 15-30 underwater.

    Yeah, thats correct. One of our guests at the digital shootout did some shots with it before the camera housing started leaking. The photos were not too convincing because we also had a very bad viz at that dive.

     

    So I cannot really judge the performance. It's very big and always a headache with the big extensions rings you need to mount for it. As we are now longing for the Canon 17-40L lense we are about to sell our SIGMA 15-30mm.

     

    The constant focal length on the Canon is just too tempting :P

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.