Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best bang for the buck: strobe or better camera?

Started by M4rauder ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Best bang for the buck: strobe or better camera?

10 posts
  1. I have a dive trip coming up and i'd like to upgrade my current setup a bit. I've been using a Sealife DC800, which has been OK, but the quality has never been as good as I'd like.

     

    So now my choice: buy a housing for my m4/3 camera (GF1), or pick up an entry-level strobe to go with my Sealife. Funds will only allow for one, so what's my best option?

  2. I have a dive trip coming up and i'd like to upgrade my current setup a bit. I've been using a Sealife DC800, which has been OK, but the quality has never been as good as I'd like.

     

    So now my choice: buy a housing for my m4/3 camera (GF1), or pick up an entry-level strobe to go with my Sealife. Funds will only allow for one, so what's my best option?

     

     

    It is a tough call on that. The reason being is that a strobe is very important for UW shooting. You can try various things to shoot with natural light and can try Alex Mustard's Magic Filters, but an external strobe is going to go a long way to helping get better shots, less backscatter, better lighting etc.

     

    I have not A/B'd the SeaLife with the GF1, but the GF1 is a very nice camera and with its capabilities to shoot RAW and a higher level of video would lead to results that are going to be better (generally) than the SeaLife, all other things being equal (neither using a strobe)

     

    What type of things do you shoot UW and what do you find lacking in quality with the set-up now? That may help to figure out what may be best for the short term. Also not sure which strobes you are looking at, perhaps a less expensive strobe and housing the GF1 may be worthwhile if you can stretch it....

  3. Thanks for the reply.

     

    My complaints with the Sealife are mainly that it is slow to take pictures/focus, video isn't great, and photo quality is only OK (kind of noisy, low dynamic range). I would love to use my wide-angle lens too (9-18mm). Of course all of these things are a bit lacking on my Sealife when compared to my GF1!

     

    I've also never used an external strobe underwater before, so it's hard for me to know whether I'll like using one or not (obviously better results, but makes the kit considerably larger).

  4. Thanks for the reply.

     

    My complaints with the Sealife are mainly that it is slow to take pictures/focus, video isn't great, and photo quality is only OK (kind of noisy, low dynamic range). I would love to use my wide-angle lens too (9-18mm). Of course all of these things are a bit lacking on my Sealife when compared to my GF1!

     

    I've also never used an external strobe underwater before, so it's hard for me to know whether I'll like using one or not (obviously better results, but makes the kit considerably larger).

     

    A strobe does tons for IQ and while it may seem like it adds both complexity and bulk (well, that's what I thought), it's actually very easy to get to grips with, and under water you won't notice it. I'd suggest doing both but given your budget constraints I would suggest going for the strobe now, and upgrading the housing later. Then you'll get a chance to get to grips with the stroe with a camea you already know and once you can house the GF1 (substantially more expensive than getting a cheap strobe btw), it'll feel natural to use the strobe with the camera - one new thing less to worry about.

     

    Tom

  5. Thanks for the reply.

     

    My complaints with the Sealife are mainly that it is slow to take pictures/focus, video isn't great, and photo quality is only OK (kind of noisy, low dynamic range). I would love to use my wide-angle lens too (9-18mm). Of course all of these things are a bit lacking on my Sealife when compared to my GF1!

     

    I've also never used an external strobe underwater before, so it's hard for me to know whether I'll like using one or not (obviously better results, but makes the kit considerably larger).

     

     

    Often a half-press on the shutter in many cameras will help with shutter lag and they may be other means to speed your rig up (Maybe someone with the camera will offer some tips.) Sounds like the rest of the issues may be the nature of the beast when compared to your GF for instance. (In terms of shutter lag, the point and shoots are usually the slowest, the 4/3rds etc. mid-ground and dSLR quickest). Not sure how many dive you have with the SeaLife, but I used an Oly 3040 as my first digital rig and with some practice was able to get okay shots. And the SeaLife should be alot better than the Oly 3040. The strobe addition was a big jump, and as Tom pointed out, the benefit outweighs the learning curve/extra items. If you are going for one strobe you should not be too worried about it. If you decide to go the strobe route, you may want to kick the choices around here a bit to get some opinions. You may want to keep in mind what you will be shooting in the future so the strobe can carry over to the next rig. (Yes, there is always the next rig ;) ) In other words you may be tempted to get a small strobe (there are some real small ones out there) that may work to improve your situation, but trading off a bit more money now (and maybe adding a bit more size) could work better for you down the road.

  6. For me, there is nothing more aggravating, than trying to use a camera, which refuses to shoot. You, you can half press, recompose, and shoot. But a bad autofocus cam, is a PIA to work with.

     

    When you push the shutter, and the fish swims on by, and then the camera takes the shot... Yikes!

     

    If the strobe you get, for sure could be used with the housed gf1, then that should be ok.

     

    But if it is specifically for the sealife, forget it! Don't invest more in that.

     

    What strobe are you thinking about?

     

    For me, the gf1 would make a world of difference to the joy and pleasure of shooting. Even if you might arguably get slightly better images with a strobe on the sealife, you won't have nearly as much fun.

     

    You can shoot raw, and try a magic filter, or ur-pro, and vastly improve your IQ that way, as well as get much better video.

  7. Originally, I had considered picking up a (maybe used) Sealife SL960D or SL961 running somewhere in the range of $250-350. They seemed like decent beginner strobes with a good guide number.

     

    Stepping up from that, I'd go for the Sea & Sea YS-01. Seems like it would be the best one to get and would work perfectly with a higher spec system in the future (wider beam, focus light, TTL). At this point, I think I would pick the YS-01 instead of compromising and getting the Sealife flash.

     

    One other potential option that has been tempting me is switching over to the E-PL2. From a cost standpoint, the Oly housing with the Zen port is pretty much the same as the 10Bar GF1 housing, but I could hold off on getting the Zen port for now. I'm not sure whether I'm willing to give up my GF1 for the E-PL2 though... that's a whole other comparison.

  8. Originally, I had considered picking up a (maybe used) Sealife SL960D or SL961 running somewhere in the range of $250-350. They seemed like decent beginner strobes with a good guide number.

     

    Stepping up from that, I'd go for the Sea & Sea YS-01. Seems like it would be the best one to get and would work perfectly with a higher spec system in the future (wider beam, focus light, TTL). At this point, I think I would pick the YS-01 instead of compromising and getting the Sealife flash.

     

    One other potential option that has been tempting me is switching over to the E-PL2. From a cost standpoint, the Oly housing with the Zen port is pretty much the same as the 10Bar GF1 housing, but I could hold off on getting the Zen port for now. I'm not sure whether I'm willing to give up my GF1 for the E-PL2 though... that's a whole other comparison.

     

     

    The YS-02 is the one with TTL, YS-01 is manual (and sometimes there may be some models of cameras that do not TTL properly with certain models.) Usually people would use TTL more for macro rather than wide angle. GF1 is nice and many people love them. We have a E-PL1 in the house (have not used it underwater) and it is not too bad. Have not compared them straight up.

     

    It is sounding like you have some decisions and budget to look at. It looks like the strobe is on the list no matter what (saw the YS-02 today at BTS in real life, nice and small). If you are considering the options (a) strobe only, (b) strobe and housing and E-PL2 or © housing the GF1, I would lean to (b) myself. If you are housing and setting up the strobes for the GF1 or other system then that would change. People can debate GF1, GF2, Pen and the rest, but if an housing and strobe is an option for one of the rigs and strobeless for the other, I would tend to strobe. Even an S95 in a Canon housing and YS-02 may be another option that would put you further along.

     

    One bit of advice, don't just buy because you have the trip coming up and feel forced. Take a breath and if you can sit a day or two, get some more feedback and get a chance to play with some cameras a bit could help clear the static. Also don't rush order at the last minute and do the "hope it arrives before I go to the airport."

  9. The YS-02 is the one with TTL, YS-01 is manual (and sometimes there may be some models of cameras that do not TTL properly with certain models.)

     

    Are you sure that is correct?

     

    You've summed up my choices nicely though, and I tend to agree with you about picking (b). I appreciate the input. Sometimes I do think I should just try to enjoy what I can do with the Sealife and be happy.

  10. Are you sure that is correct?

     

    I think I may have gotten it backwards and the YS-01 is the TTL....sorry about that...

     

    As to enjoying the SeaLife and being happy, that is also an option. New toys will always be out there and you can practice shooting more with what you have. There will be a point here you have enough dives with the camera and know that you you want to keep shooting where you really feel it is time to upgrade...

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.