Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

tips to photograph marine turtles

Started by Nicool ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

tips to photograph marine turtles

11 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    I've read a very interesting thread about Mandarin fish photography, with clearly expert advise, but I couldn't find something similar for sea turtles photography.

    Maybe you all find this too easy? ;)

     

    Jokes apart, I'm planning a trip to Sipadan in october, where apparently I'll have plenty of occasions to photograph one of my favourite animals: sea turtles.

    Honestly I haven't been too lucky in my previous dive-trips turtle-wise (except once... beautiful animal eating soft coral with a nice blue background, but one of my housing's buttons got sticked, blocking the whole camera...).

     

    Anyway! I am also in the process of changing my whole underwater photography gear, probably going to a Hugyfot D7000 + Inon Z240 strobes.

     

    I believe that I'll be much more likely to get a nice turtle shot if I have thoroughly prepared myself before. My best shots are the ones that I had thought and thought, and visualized in advance.

     

    So I'm opening this thread to ask you about:

    -Gear to use? I have a 10-24 Nikon already, wondering if a Tokina 10-17mm would be better, maybe too wide?

    -Approach technique?

    -Best time of the day?

    -Things to avoid? Can it be a nuisance to photograph mating turtles? I have also heard that night shots must be avoided, as an awaken turtle would go to the surface for air, and wouldn't be able to find another sleeping spot in the middle of the night.

    -Any advise, any experience you'd feel like sharing :)

     

    thanks and have a great week-end!

     

    Nicolas

  2. Like you said, turtles aren't Mandarin fish and not sexy, but I love them. My favorites. When you get a chance to hang with them or find one that is hanging around, just beautiful.

     

    I shoot Canon, so take it with a grain of salt on the lens selection, but I have gotten by with an 18-55mm basic lens and a 60mm. My guess is the 10-24 would be fine (depending on what you are looking to shoot.) The approach technique for me is the same, just sort of hang around and move in slowly. Many times they really do not care and are not too skittish at all. Could be because they know I like them But often if eating or hanging on the ground they let close approaches and will let you get close, though often where I dive they may not be in the easiest accessible places. Currents and swaying. Often have had them swim straight in towards me when free swimming.

     

    As to the background, if you are close enough for the strobes to light the foreground, close the f-stop to get a bluer background and use the strobes to paint the colors in. Where I see the turtles where I go is not really time dependent, so cannot speak to Sipadan (ditto in case their behavior changes). Have not seen mating turtles, but at night turtles can be more aggressive/confused? At least according to the DMs I have been with where I dive. I have not seen them be aggressive, but they are not quite the same for me the few times I have seen them at night.

     

    Bottom line, don't crowd them and approach slowly and don't scare or startle them. If you see them free swimming get a sense of the general direction they are going and be in the general area where they will be, if they are interested or curious, they will often approach you.

  3. Thanks Drew!

    It is true that my closest approach to a turtle was a slow and peaceful one, and above all, the turtle was busy having lunch!

    I hadn't considered a trans-standard zoom lens, but why not! If you're comfortable with that, it is likely that fisheye would be too much.

     

    A deep blue background is definitely something that I'd be looking for. A nice sunball on the back of a diving turtle would please me too ;)

  4. At Sipidan you will get PLENTY of opportunities for turtle shots. I took so many that the last 2 days i banned myself from taking them, in the hunt for something else. You should see 30+ per dive, so pick your subjects wisely, no point trying to approach a skittish individual who may have been harrassed by the previous group when a nice chilled out 'dude' is just a few metres further along. Always as calm as possible and even try and separate yourself from groups. Never surround the animal and dont chase them, they are way faster than you through the water.

     

    The 10-17 should be real nice, but consider a 1.4xTC which may help you fill the frame a bit more. the 10-24 should be useful. As above i have used my 10-17 and 18-55 both to good affect.

     

    As you said the main positives are to think what type of shot u wish to achieve and try to capture that. I have heard of a good technique: Scan the net for pics and types of pics you like of turtles : silhouettes against the sun, portraits, full body from above or below, macro of green turtle shells are nice, etc and download those pics. Beware of copyright, but then you can even try to put those pics onto your cameras card and 'erase protect' them, so they are there for the whole week. Then mid-dive you can skip back to the beginning of the card and look at the fav pics and try to emmulate them.

     

    Between dives, scan through your pics and see what works and what doesnt. You will have plenty of opportunity to try again.

     

    Hope that helps.

     

    Olly

  5. Thanks Olly!

    Cool to hear these nice animals will be so numerous there :-)

    The 1.4 converter would be an additional item on an - already - too long shopping list, so I'll probably stick with the 10-24, with a similar angle of view I think.

  6. The first dive I ever did at Sipadan, I saw a green turtle. I approached it very carefully so as not to scare it. I took a picture. It stayed put. I took another. It took no notice of me. I was quietly thrilled. It let me shoot off a whole roll of film (Nikonos). Wow! I was so lucky! Then I rose up to swim away and realised it was surrounded by at least forty other green turtles!

     

    Move slowly, be kind. Don't touch. A turtle can stay with you for a whole dive!

     

    Here's another experience: http://www.divernet.com/Marine-Life/marine...eacon_rock.html

    Edited by John Bantin
  7. Pretty much as the others have said. I prefer to shoot turtles in the morning as they are more active (well where I dive). I have a few spots where they come to get cleaned and its easy just to sit with them and take their pic. I prefer a head on shot but my favourite is the turtle swimming back down from the surface with a sunburst right behind it. It takes a little bit of work and timing to get but well worth the effort.

     

    I use the Tokina 10-17mm as I am primary after other subjects like Manta rays and leopard sharks and really only bother with Turtles when an excellent opportunity arises. On larger Turtles like Loggerheads and large Green I like the FOV that the Tokina has and also the ability to focus right up to the dome. I have had turtle rest their heads against the dome and still get focused shots.

     

    Loggerheads can be a little testie at times as I think they see their reflection in the dome (i use 8 inch) and tend to try and bite the dome. This allows you to get some interesting shots. Hawksbill on the other hand tend to be shy and more care need to capture the shot.

     

    As another poster said, dont waste your time on the shy and timid Turtles. You will find one which will be like a little lost puppy dog and follow you around. These are the ones you want as you can enjoy the experience and I honestly think the turtle does too.

     

    Regards Mark

  8. 4814957503_efe3a11e21.jpg

     

    4817057145_c8032af281.jpg

     

    5540749799_1659e4b313.jpg

     

    5517644336_c829fe460c.jpg

     

    Showing how close the Tokina can focus. This little guy was only a few inches away from the dome

     

    5437261107_9a509573b7.jpg

     

    Not the best shot but shows you a testie Loggerhead

     

    All taken with the Tokina 10-17mm......at 10mm

    Edited by Aussiebyron
  9. Just to echo what the other posters have said re: meeting turtles underwater

    In my limited experience...approach and treat turtles exactly as you see them.... and the turtle will pay you back with some nice memories to frame..

  10. or the Headless Turtle!

     

    5390034542_195582bb5d.jpg

     

    Regards Mark

  11. Lol!

    The sunball is pretty nice.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.