Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Small Critter from Fiji

Started by jimbo1946 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Small Critter from Fiji

9 posts
  1. I took this in Fiji recently, but I can't ID it. Any help would be appreciated!

     

    Fiji_1.jpg

     

    Fiji_2.jpg

  2. Prawn gobie

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thanks, James! I noticed a similarity to several "shrimp goby" species but no direct match. Do you know why they're called shrimp or prawn gobies?

  4. Hi there

    the photo is really too small but ther shrimp goby looks like Amblyeleotris randalli

    cheers

    Art

  5. here another photo of A. randalli

  6. Jimbo,

     

    shrimp/prawn/partner gobies live with shrimps. The goby (by acting as a watchdog) makes sure that the shrimp is not eaten by anyone, and the shrimp takes care of the burrow for both of them (or all three, if two shrimps are present).

     

    Art,

     

    are you still collecting snapping shrimp images? I got a couple during the last week in Red Sea. Will get organzied soon.

     

    Br,

    Jukka-Pekka

  7. here another photo of A. randalli

    Hi Art,

     

    It's a gorgeous picture of the Randall's Shrimpgoby. Have you taken it? If so what kind of set-up do you use?

     

    Thank's

     

    Clément

  8. Welcome back Art!

     

    If you're looking for shrimp goby photos, talk to Craig, Herb, and Todd (aka yahsemtough). They all saw a lot of them in Manado.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Hi folks !

     

    I was on a field trip in Venezuela, that's why I was rather silent during the last 4-5 weeks

     

    no, the picture of A. randalli is from the web, I think from a Japanese goby site

     

    and YES, I am always interested in snapping (and other) shrimp pictures !! hope to see some from the Red Sea and Manado !

     

    by the way, my colleague was unable to identify the red-blue squat lobster from NSW posted on this forum a couple of months ago, it could be either a rare species or something new

     

    POST MORE CRITTERS FOR ID !

    cheerio

    Art

    :P

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.