Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Care of ports?

Started by devildiver ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Care of ports?

5 posts
  1. Suggestions?

     

    I noticed some small spots on my flat port upon return from a recent trip, I can only see them when the light reflects off of the port like a mirror. I believe these must be from dried saltwater drops that I missed after the usual rinsing and drying with a micro fiber towel. They are small and do not appear to show up in photos once the port is in the water but I would like to remove them if possible.

     

    Are there any suggestions for dealing with this issue?

     

    -SR

  2. I believe they are the result of water drops drying on the glass and leaving a mineral deposit. I have removed these using the following method.

    Tear a small piece of tissue large enough to cover a spot. Wet it with table vinagar and let it soak for ~10 minutes. It works for me on our glass flat ports. The tissue keeps the spot wet and prevents the vinagar from beading/evaporating.

     

    I don't think I'd use this on a plastic port???

  3. Thanks for the reply.

     

    I avoid any chemical cleaners for my glass but I would guess that vinegar should be safe, don't know why I didn't think of this.

     

    Just out of curiosity why would you avoid vinegar on plastic? Would it damage any coating applied or the plastic itself?

  4. Try optical lens cleaner solution with lint-free towel. Some ports have a special coating that can be easily damaged if rubbed with even a slightly abrasive material.

    Edited by jcclink
  5. Vinegar contains dilute acetic acid and I am not sure of it's reaction with some plastics.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.