Is there a any difference between the AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D, and the same lens without the "D" feature? I bought a second hand lens without the "D", because I was simply not aware of the existence of the two variants. Is this "D" feature important for underwater photography or not?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D vs without the D feature?
Started by jefdriesen ·
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D vs without the D feature?
-
-
Is there a any difference between the AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D, and the same lens without the "D" feature? I bought a second hand lens without the "D", because I was simply not aware of the existence of the two variants. Is this "D" feature important for underwater photography or not?
I have used a 105 micro, 'pre=D' with no issues at all. The 'D' indicates the camera knows the distance to subject when in focus and can relate this to the flash. This has no impact on u/w work since its all relatively close with this lens.
-
I have used a 105 micro, 'pre=D' with no issues at all. The 'D' indicates the camera knows the distance to subject when in focus and can relate this to the flash. This has no impact on u/w work since its all relatively close with this lens.
I agree. I have used the Nikkor 60 mm macro since '93. It is very sharp and fast focusing. I see no need for the "D" feature for u/w photography. Enjoy and save your money for other toys. OBTW, the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4 teleconverter will work with the older 60.
Bob
-
I've seen it tested on land "D" vs. no D using flash with no discernible difference it the results. It sure won't make a difference underwater.
-
Is it possible to focus manually with this lens without adjusting the AF/MF selector on the lens itself? Or do I have to decide between MF and AF before I jump into the water, without being able to switch during the dive?
-
The D was originally supposed to tell the camera the Distance of the subject which it was focused on and I seem to remember that this information was supposed to help it with the flash exposure. In practice this is irrelevant for underwater photography (and it could be argued that it might even be worse than irrelevant), however, as stated already, in practice it seems to make very little difference to (TTL) flash exposures. Depending on your housing and whether appropriate gears are available, it might be possible to drive the MF/AF selector on the lens but if the ports and gear are not available then you will have to predetermine whether to use AF or MF.
-
Is it possible to focus manually with this lens without adjusting the AF/MF selector on the lens itself? Or do I have to decide between MF and AF before I jump into the water, without being able to switch during the dive?
On some system, yes on some other no, you need a separate gear to activate the AF/M selector and in some case it is just not feasible, depending on the housing type. check with you manufacturer to see if they have such a gear or device available, if they cannot be reached for some reason, then I suggest you post the info (housing brand, camera model and port model) here and I am sure there will be plenty of response.