Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Explain digital ISO

Started by Belldiver ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Explain digital ISO

4 posts
  1. Hi folks!

     

    A question here...

     

    How does ISO on DSLR's differ from film SLR's? I understand the relationship with film cameras and the 'grain' you get from high speed film. Why does this matter on a digital camera? How does that electronic pickup screen operate differently when I tell it to act like 100 ISO vs. 3200 ISO? Is this just for creative exposure controls for your available lens shutter speed and F-stops? Or is there some physical characteristic?

     

    Thanks ahead of time!

     

    Jim

  2. It's a fairly similar concept. As you raise the digital ISO you will decrease the dynamic range and get more electronic noise - which equates to grain.

  3. It's a fairly similar concept. As you raise the digital ISO you will decrease the dynamic range and get more electronic noise - which equates to grain.

     

    I thought it might be like that. I wasn't sure if there was some actual electronic degradation or not, or if it was just to accomodate your desired creative control.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jim

  4. I thought it might be like that. I wasn't sure if there was some actual electronic degradation or not, or if it was just to accomodate your desired creative control.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jim

     

    Well, typically they boarder on fantasy.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.