Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus E-1 housing?

Started by BonaireBob ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus E-1 housing?

13 posts
  1. I've been searching for info on an UW housing for the new Olympus E-1 DSLR, but there doesn't seem to be much. Has anyone heard any rumors as to when one might be introduced?

    Bob

  2. Hi Bob,

     

    Designing and building an SLR housing and ports is quite a time and $$$ investment. I don't think the E-1 is out in numbers to attract the major housing manufacturers yet.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Can't Ike build a housing for it?

  4. I heard a rumour that Olympus were going to make a polycarbonate housing for it themselves. In the same style as the ones for their compacts?

     

    I don't remember where I heard that. Or have any idea how reliable it is!

     

    Alex

  5. Making a housing for an SLR is a lot more of a job than for a point and shoot camera. In particular the different ports you will need and lens gears for zooms and manual focus. If the wide angle port Olympus made for their 5060 is any indication I'd wait for someone else to try the housing first. I'd wait for an Ike housing.

  6. If the wide angle port Olympus made for their 5060 is any indication I'd wait for someone else to try the housing first. I'd wait for an Ike housing.

    So you've seen and shot this system, Dave? I'd like to hear about your experience behind that statement.

  7. I'm guessing Dave is basing that statement on information posted by Olympus on their website. Here's a translation:

     

    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/u...tect/index.html

     

    Looks like that's either a mistake by Olympus engineers, or an "artist's rendition" of a dome port. Let's hope for the latter.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. I just don't get how you guys can judge this system a failure before anyone has a chance to get their hands on one. Is there even a remote possibility that the optical engineers at Olympus know more about their design than you do? Look at the INON UWL-100 lens which is well accepted in this market. It has a dome element behind a flat front port.

     

    You both may be perfectly correct. However, I think it may be a good idea to reserve judgement until a few of them get out into the field.

  9. Yes, you're correct Jeff, maybe we will get lucky and they will fix the mistake. I usually believe the manufacturer's posted information to be correct though - it's a tech sheet on their website and all. We'll have to wait and see.

     

    But for now, I can say without a doubt that a wideangle lens (<28 degree) behind a flat port yields poor results. That's a known fact.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. Hi!

     

    I had a few tests with my E-20 housing regarding the E-1. It's a big risk to try to modify an existing E-20 housing (some of the controls moved just a bit too much).

    It was also impossible to fit in the E-1 with minimal operation (release only) because of the slightly different measurements.

     

    I haven't made up my mind to seriously sell my E-20 (I had a try but not much of a response) because I'm not convinced of the extras I get for lots of money. So I'm waiting for the things to come (more WA lenses e.g.).

     

    It is not sooo much work to fit the E-1 in a raw housing body that would house the E-20. It would mean to place all the levers and pushbuttons and to go for a flat port in the first run (as we did for my E-20, 2 years ago).

     

    It's the money that keeps me from switching now to the E-1. I've got quite some add-ons for the E-20 (housing, converters etc.) I have to get rid of to pay for the new equipment.

    Also, now that I try to get accustomed to WA there's still no proper WA lens available (the 11-22 will be released in Feb., another 7-14? is planned for 2004, according to the Japanese website).

     

    If you want a housing for the E-1 now, bruder is ready to build it.

    I use one for my E-20 for 2 years now. See the results on my homepage.

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  11. Now that Ike's techies have broken the oly TTL code for the 5060, I wonder if it applies to the E-1?

     

    If so, an ike housing for the E-1 would be a winner!

     

    Don

  12. That's what I was thinking too Don. I wonder if it would work with the E10 and E20 as well???

     

    Cheers

    James

  13. Hi!

     

    The E-1 has some extensions to the E-20 TTL protocol. The Metz SCA flash adaptor for the E-20 doesn't work with the E-1 (and will be adapted soon).

    The protocol should be backward compatible though. It's interesting, that older Oly flashlights (the 40 e.g.) work with the E-1 (with limited functionality).

     

    I don't know, if the 5060 is closer to the E-1 or to the E-20. If you are looking for a volunteer to test it with an E-20, send me a sample flash!

     

    I've got the bulk head (5 pin) already mounted in the housing ;-)

     

    Will the Ike flashes support native Oly TTL or will there be an adapter (to Nikon TTL, to use older flashes)?

     

    Helge ;-)=)

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.