Hi all,
I bought a 5DII in an Aquatica housing about 2 years ago, with a 14mm lens and 8" dome. Mostly a cave diver, the 14mm has been the best lens ever for tunnels big and small (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/errbrr/544396...57626045667280/ for an example of what I'm used to!)
However, I'm planning a trip to Layang Layang in July, and 14mm is not going to help me if something skittish swims out of the blue...and so, I'm looking for a longer lens. The caveat is that I have no interest in photos of tiny things (though great respect for those who do) - I'd like to better capture turtles, larger/pelagic fish, sharks and rays without having to be within a 50cm of them.
I've been looking at the reviews on the Canon 50mm varieties. Is this likely to do what I want? Is it worth shelling out for the L series? Alternatively, can I take my existing 24-105mm kit lens underwater? I have heard of focal distance and focussing problems. Will the 8" dome port work for these photos, or would I get better results with something smaller?
Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.
Liz