Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What's this stuff?

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

What's this stuff?

3 posts
  1. Anyone know what this juvenile Pearsonothuria Graeffei is walking on? It's at Wori near Manado in Indonesia. I think I've seen pretty big colonies of it, and I have a feeling it stings. Maybe I got stung by some of it once.

     

    http://www.oceanfootage.com/video_clips/NH08_814

  2. Hi Nick - It's a brown algae, either Padina or a related species. Padina doesn't sting but it could be overgrown by something like hydroids that do.

  3. Thanks Leslie, that'll be it!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.