Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Zoanthids or something else?

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Zoanthids or something else?

4 posts
  1. Its a colony of Goniopora or Alveopora sp. Hard to tell from inspection. Its a hard coral that has long soft polyps on tentacles. these polyps, when disturbed can retract leaving the hard CaCO3 skeleton visable i.e top left of your colony. The zoomed section, they have half retracted leaving them looking like zooanthids.

     

    Olly

  2. Thanks Olly! I reckon it's Alveopora sp. as it's only got 12 tentacles, not 24. I'm putting it down as Alveopora Gigas.

  3. Its a colony of Goniopora or Alveopora sp. Hard to tell from inspection. Its a hard coral that has long soft polyps on tentacles. these polyps, when disturbed can retract leaving the hard CaCO3 skeleton visable i.e top left of your colony. The zoomed section, they have half retracted leaving them looking like zooanthids.

     

    Olly

    Should be some Alveopora sp. Goniopora have more tentacles than Alveopora (24 vs 12, and as far as I can count, I believe this one has 12).

     

    /Bent

     

    Edit: Sorry, should have read the whole thread before answering!!!!! But at least we agree!

    Edited by Bent C
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.