Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Sea Mouse

Started by Scuba_kiwi ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea Mouse

4 posts
  1. I took this photo yesterday (22.12.2003) at Camp Cove in Sydney Harbour, I've been told it's a sea mouse but that's all I know! anyone got any interesting facts for me about it? I took a couple of shots of it then it turned and charged me! I'm very lucky to be here to tell you all about it! :P

     

    0097.jpg

  2. I found an interesting link about about this Polychaete worm (thought it was an urchin when I saw it):

    It's an Aphrodite species, and its spines have interesting light transmitting properties. It's supposed to be from deep water....

     

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1099278.stm

     

    Marli

  3. Your creature is an Urchin! a species of Heart Urchin. An Echinoderm.

     

    I don't know much about them but have seen them here in the UK a few times. They burrow under the sand/substrate so they are not visible most of the time.

     

    Regards

    PauP

  4. Hi folks

     

    right, it is not a sea mouse, but an irregular urchin, called "heart urchin", maybe Lovenia sp. from the family Loveniidae

     

    there are 3 species of heart urchins in Edgar's book, p. 367-368, but no direct match with this one

     

    you can also try Sea Urchins of Australia and the Indo-Pacific, 2002 by Ashley Miskelly (don't have this one yet)

     

    sea mice (Aphrodite spp.) look quite different

     

    ciao

    Art

    :P

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.