Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D7000: Aquatica or Hugyfot?

Started by jefdriesen ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D7000: Aquatica or Hugyfot?

13 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I want to buy a housing for my Nikon D7000. Originally, I convinced myself to choose an Aquatica housing (rather than an Ikelite housing). Even took an option on one of the housings that my local Aquatica dealer had already on order. But now I have the opportunity to buy a Hugyfot housing from a close friend. He won the housing in a competition.

     

    Price wise, both housing would cost me about the same. Now I wonder which housing would offer me the most most value for my money?

     

    If I compare both housings, one of the main benefits of the Hugyfot housing is certainly the Hugycheck system. Also since I live in Belgium (Europe), less then an hour driving from the Hugyfot office, service and support is easy. I can simply drive over there if necessary. Aquatica on the other hand is located far away in Canada, which is certainly less optimal in this regard (as in costing more due to shipping and taking longer). Although I have to admit I have excellent experience with Aquatica email support so far (congrats to Jean!). But I have held both the Aquatica D300s housing (not the D7000, because the local dealer didn't have it yet) and the Hugyfot D7000 housing in my hands, and I think the Aquatica housing is more comfortable to operate. Controls are easier to reach while keeping my hands on the grips, wheel buttons have better grip to rotate with just one finger, etc.

     

    But the problem is that I don't have any experience with DSLR housings at all, making it difficult to judge which one is "better". The above is purely based on playing a few minutes with the housings on land. Bottom line is that I have a hard time deciding which one too choose.

     

    Any comments, advice and/or personal experience would be very welcome.

     

    Jef

  2. I have had my Aquatica AD7000 for about four weeks now and I simply love it. It is a well engineered housing and huge step up from my Aquatica AD90. I like the button layout on the housing that has moved away from the direct button lineup of the camera to a position more suited for shooting underwater. I find it comfortable to hold for long periods of time underwater and controlas are nice and smooth.

     

    Unfortunately I have no experience with the Hugyfot to give you a comparison.

     

    Regards Mark

  3. I've had nearly every make of housing and I would say you get used to what you've got. However, the Hugycheck system does set it apart when it comes to confidence that you've assembled your housing properly.

  4. There are also third party companies that produce similar systems to the Hugycheck if thats the major reason to choose Hugyfot.

     

    Regards Mark

  5. I'm aware of at least one third party company [1] producing a similar system. But they are simply too expensive for my budget. The D7000 with the housing, ports, strobe arms, etc is already at the limit of what I'm willing to spend at the moment.

     

    [1] http://uwcamerastuff.com/housing_sentry_overview.htm

  6. I have a Hugyfot for my 5d mk2. It is a very nice housing and reasonably compact.

     

    The good points to me are the adapter rings that allow you to use other manufacturers ports and the HuygCheck system.

     

     

    The downside I think is that it is not as easily expandable as an Aquatica housing. By that I mean setting up remote triggers or tripod mounts are a little more problematic.

     

    There are a couple of other little niggles, like I am not sold 100% on the arms design but.....I think you are going to have niggles with any housing at this price point.

     

    All told I am happy with it and if I was in the market for a housing again, I would probably be looking at these 2 manufactures again.

     

     

    Hope that helps

     

    Erol

  7. I just got back from a two week trip with my D7000/Aquatica system and absolutely love it. To me, the housing seems to be very difficult to flood if you properly maintain it and use common sense. Aquatica has been around for awhile. This is my fourth Aquatica housing (Nikon 8008, Coolpix 5000, D200, D7000) and I've never had any real issues. I guess it all comes down to your comfort level and mine is pretty good with Jean/Aquatica.

    Edited by cdoyal
  8. Hi,

     

    I want to buy a housing for my Nikon D7000. Originally, I convinced myself to choose an Aquatica housing (rather than an Ikelite housing). Even took an option on one of the housings that my local Aquatica dealer had already on order. But now I have the opportunity to buy a Hugyfot housing from a close friend. He won the housing in a competition.

     

    Price wise, both housing would cost me about the same. Now I wonder which housing would offer me the most most value for my money?

     

    If I compare both housings, one of the main benefits of the Hugyfot housing is certainly the Hugycheck system. Also since I live in Belgium (Europe), less then an hour driving from the Hugyfot office, service and support is easy. I can simply drive over there if necessary. Aquatica on the other hand is located far away in Canada, which is certainly less optimal in this regard (as in costing more due to shipping and taking longer). Although I have to admit I have excellent experience with Aquatica email support so far (congrats to Jean!). But I have held both the Aquatica D300s housing (not the D7000, because the local dealer didn't have it yet) and the Hugyfot D7000 housing in my hands, and I think the Aquatica housing is more comfortable to operate. Controls are easier to reach while keeping my hands on the grips, wheel buttons have better grip to rotate with just one finger, etc.

     

    But the problem is that I don't have any experience with DSLR housings at all, making it difficult to judge which one is "better". The above is purely based on playing a few minutes with the housings on land. Bottom line is that I have a hard time deciding which one too choose.

     

    Any comments, advice and/or personal experience would be very welcome.

     

    Jef

     

     

    Hi,

    what about Subal? I sow the new housing project ina show, it'll be ready in few weeks...amazing and comes with fiber possibility to shoot with.

    Cheers

  9. I bought the Hugy D7000, here you can see pictures of what it comes with:

     

    http://www.forobuceo.com/phpBB3/viewtopic....f=6&t=86542

     

    Those pics will be included in a review I plan to write in Wetpixel as soon as I use it in enough dives. I did Hugyfot D200 and D300 reviews previously. My opinion could be biased towards Hugyfot, specially when I have not seen/tried the Aquatica but, living so close to Hugy´s office I would choose Hugy (if I lived less than an hour from Aquatica I would probably choose Aquatica). Both housings will serve you well.

  10. I bought the Hugy D7000, here you can see pictures of what it comes with:

     

    http://www.forobuceo.com/phpBB3/viewtopic....f=6&t=86542

     

    Those pics will be included in a review I plan to write in Wetpixel as soon as I use it in enough dives. I did Hugyfot D200 and D300 reviews previously. My opinion could be biased towards Hugyfot, specially when I have not seen/tried the Aquatica but, living so close to Hugy´s office I would choose Hugy (if I lived less than an hour from Aquatica I would probably choose Aquatica). Both housings will serve you well.

    I like the etched button ID. Thanks for the info.

    Bob

  11. I bought the Hugy D7000, here you can see pictures of what it comes with:

     

    http://www.forobuceo.com/phpBB3/viewtopic....f=6&t=86542

     

    Those pics will be included in a review I plan to write in Wetpixel as soon as I use it in enough dives. I did Hugyfot D200 and D300 reviews previously. My opinion could be biased towards Hugyfot, specially when I have not seen/tried the Aquatica but, living so close to Hugy´s office I would choose Hugy (if I lived less than an hour from Aquatica I would probably choose Aquatica). Both housings will serve you well.

    I'm very interested to read your review!

     

    Have you used the Hugyfot housing with (thick cold water) gloves? Can you easily rotate the knobs to adjust aperture and shutter speed while keeping your hands on the grips?

  12. Hi,

    what about Subal? I sow the new housing project ina show, it'll be ready in few weeks...amazing and comes with fiber possibility to shoot with.

    Cheers

     

    The Aquatica D7000 housings can be fitted with 1 Fiber, 1 Electronic, or 2 Fiber, or 2 Electronic, same price for any option.. You can flip the hotshoe flash down while the camera is in the housing. The new release plate is very slick too.

     

    Then again, I sell this stuff so I may be seen as biased. But, take note, I bought my personal 7D housing at full retail before I became a dealer. I was a dedicated Subal user before that.

     

    S.

    Edited by Stewart L. Sy
  13. I'm very interested to read your review!

     

    Have you used the Hugyfot housing with (thick cold water) gloves? Can you easily rotate the knobs to adjust aperture and shutter speed while keeping your hands on the grips?

     

    I have never diven in cold water, but the knobs seem very easy to rotate with gloves as they stick very far from the housing.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.