Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Is this a type of Tubeworm?

Started by Jo Horrocks ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Is this a type of Tubeworm?

5 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    Just hoping that you can help me id whats in the clip......I'm guessing it's a type of tube anemone, catching bloodworms (I think)!!!...I'm probably wrong on both accounts!! :)

     

    It was filmed on a night dive in Gangga, Sulawesi.

     

    Many thanks as ever for your help,

     

    Jo

     

  2. The anemone looks like an "armed anemone", Dofleinia armata. I haven't seen that coloration but there is a big variation in its coloration. It has a very powerful sting and can probably thank your video lights for a surprise feast! Not sure what the worms are exactly.

  3. The anemone looks like an "armed anemone", Dofleinia armata. I haven't seen that coloration but there is a big variation in its coloration. It has a very powerful sting and can probably thank your video lights for a surprise feast! Not sure what the worms are exactly.

    Hi Nick,

     

    Great, many thanks for this.

     

    Yes, the lights were certainly attracting a load of critters....a bit disconcerting when they're bumping in to you and getting tangled in your hair, just as well I don't have long hair!! :)

     

    Cheers,

     

    Jo

  4. Hi Jo --

    The worms are spawning nereid polychaetes.

  5. Hi Jo --

    The worms are spawning nereid polychaetes.

    That's brilliant, thanks Leslie.

     

    Jo

    Edited by Jo Horrocks
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.