Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

umm err how do I rewind a Nikonos 1?

Started by Cal ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

umm err how do I rewind a Nikonos 1?

10 posts
  1. Hey Crew

     

    ok so my film is stuck in a nikonos 1. I cant figure out how to rewind the film. Apparently Nikonos 11 had a rewind nob but mine has nothing like that.

     

    Thoughts?

     

    Cal

     

     

    :)

  2. Apparently Nikonos 11 had a rewind nob but mine has nothing like that.
    The small knob on the right hand side with the arrow on it in this picture of a Nikonos I is the rewind knob

     

    MikeNikonos1d.JPG

     

    I stopped using a Nikonos in 1984 and the following advice is based on Nikonos II & III but it may be helpful:

    1. Set shutter speed dial on right hand side to "R" for Rewind
    2. Raise rewind knob on left side of camera fully and rewind film

     

    Here's a link to a PDF of the Nikonos II manual:

     

    http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikonos_ii.pdf

     

    Edit:

     

    I just found some more pictures of the top of a Nikonos I, it looks like there was no "R" setting on the shutter speed dial. Just try raising the rewind knob on the left of the camera before trying to rewind the film.

    Edited by Gudge
  3. LEGEND!

     

    Thanks mate

  4. If that does not work try this. Wait for night, go in bed room and in full dark room, disassemble camera under a blanket and crank film back into canister by hand.

  5. I don't have a Nikonos I instruction booklet but I do have an original Calypsophot one (a rare booklet these days)! As the Nikonos I is highly based on the Calypsophot I assume that their rewind system are the same. It states:

     

    'To rewind the film.... Pull up the rewinding knob and rewind the exposed film by turning the knob in the direction of the arrow until the movement becomes very free'

     

    As Gudge states. Its as simple as that.

  6. :) More funny is to get a newby to try and replace either the battery or a film in these :D it will take a while before they figure out that A, you need to remove the lens to open the camera and that B, there is no battery in these steam powered apparatus.

     

    That was the pratical joke at the service department. The early Nikonos are not your usual animal :)

  7. Just for the record, the Nikonos is unreal! I'm getting some film developed today. I love the feel of it underwater.

     

    ......plus its a chick magnet!

     

    :)

  8. Cal

     

    I backpacked around Central and South America in the early 70's with one for a year or so. Can't say it was a "chick magnet" at that time but was a great camera to rough it with! Shocked a few folks when I stuck it under a tap or in a stream to clean it off. Take it on your trip to the states, well if you can find enough film.

     

    Cheers, Steve

     

    quote name='Cal' date='Apr 27 2011, 07:45 PM' post='280947']

    Just for the record, the Nikonos is unreal! I'm getting some film developed today. I love the feel of it underwater.

     

    ......plus its a chick magnet!

     

    :D

    Edited by Eyematey
  9. I'm thinking of taking it with me! Its a cool 'hipster' tool for getting unusual shots. I've actually got a few rolls getting developed right now and I cant wait to see them tomorrow! will post the shots!

  10. I just picked up one of the 28mm LW (wet weather) lenses which looks slightly bizarre sat on a NikII! The overall size is wonderful though - and for traveling.......

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.