Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Travel with camera body (SLR) in housing or not?

Started by onewolf ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Travel with camera body (SLR) in housing or not?

15 posts
  1. Last year I bought a Canon t2i/Nauticam system as an upgrade from a G10/FIX system. In June we will be making a trip to Bonaire which will be the first time I really travel with the new system. In the past with our smaller point/shoot systems I used a carry-on sized black rolling bag which is the perfect size for the Pelican pick/pluck 4 piece foam set for case 1560. I was able to fit 2 housings, 3 strobes, ULCS arms/clamps, macro lenses, WA lenses, batteries, etc and I never had any travel issues with this setup.

     

    Based upon my first attempt at packing the new SLR system in the existing bag, it looks like all the components will fit only if I keep the camera body + lens in the housing. (My wife is going to be on her own for transporting her G10/Fix/dual S&S YS-01 strobes :) )

     

    I recall reading that leaving the camera body in the housing when travelling can be a bad thing. I searched, but now I cannot find any message threads on that topic. What is the recommendation on packing/travelling with an SLR in the housing? It would be greatly advantageous if I can keep the camera body/lens in the housing for travel.

     

    Here is the initial layout I devised for the following components: Nauticam 550D housing with macro port attached and t2i + 60mm macro lens inside, 2 S&S YS-110a strobes, Nauticam housing grip arms, ULCS arms/clamps, Zen 100mm dome port, Tokina 10-17 lens with Nauticam zoom gear attached, Nauticam viewfinder, Inon 45 degree viewfinder, 4 extra AA battery packs. The spare parts/o-rings/tools/etc will go in bags in the outside padded pocket.

     

    IMG_1485.jpg

  2. As carry-on, I always travel with camera and lens in housing. I think it's the safest place they can be.

  3. As carry-on, I always travel with camera and lens in housing. I think it's the safest place they can be.

    I always put a body in the housing, but I don't put any lens on the body and I don't put a port on the housing. That way there are no big pressure changes inside the system.

    Bill

  4. The primary potential issue with traveling with a camera installed in a housing is that most housings don't have stops on pushbuttons or levers that limit their travel, meaning a solid impact can actually break that function on the camera (by pressing a button or pulling a lever too far). We hear of this problem commonly, so I'd avoid this if possible.

  5. I always put a body in the housing, but I don't put any lens on the body and I don't put a port on the housing. That way there are no big pressure changes inside the system.

    Bill

     

    The housing will not have a viewfinder installed while travelling which should prevent the pressure change issue.

  6. I like to keep the camera where I can get to it easily too. You never know when the shot will show up. I use a briefcase looking bag to carry the bodies and lenses with one camera setup and always ready to shoot. It also helps to have a carry bag when your cruising around any surface tours, etc. My Think Tank bag has room for my laptop too.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. I like to keep the camera where I can get to it easily too. You never know when the shot will show up. I use a briefcase looking bag to carry the bodies and lenses with one camera setup and always ready to shoot. It also helps to have a carry bag when your cruising around any surface tours, etc. My Think Tank bag has room for my laptop too.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Steve, do you carry-on your housing, strobes, ports, etc? Or just the camera gear?

  8. Steve, do you carry-on your housing, strobes, ports, etc? Or just the camera gear?

     

    Hi John,

    Depends on the flight situation, when I have the opportunity, I carry on the housing, strobes, ports, etc. in a Think Tank International, bodies and lenses, CF cards, etc. go in the smaller briefcase. If the carry on is severely weight limited the housing strobes and ports go in a foam packed, very innocuous looking, inexpensive hard side suitcase. There are some pictures toward the end of this thread of my latest luggage setup. Credit goes to Eric for finding the Think Tank bags, and to Cor for the suitcase idea. Lowepro makes a nice roll on bag now too. Make sure you get one that meets the smaller carry on size limit if you plan to dive Internationally.

     

    Just a couple of options, clearly not the only choice.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  9. I sent my housing and camera to REEF for a bit of work. They sent them back with the camera in the housing after the work. I sent no lens or port/dome but did have covers in place which were returned in place. I would expect them to be experts on how to ship/pack for protection.

    They offer your brand of housing. I would encourage you to ask them directly or where you bought the housing.

  10. I second Steve Williams feelings about travel. I keep my body and good topside lenses in a smaller carry on and then put the housing and accessories in my Kata carry on.

     

    I have been getting a lot of flack from the crew of airlines because my bag is *almost* too big. They keep asking me to check it but like Charlton Heston once said, "from my COLD DEAD HANDS!". It always fits!

  11. I sent my housing and camera to REEF for a bit of work. They sent them back with the camera in the housing after the work. I sent no lens or port/dome but did have covers in place which were returned in place. I would expect them to be experts on how to ship/pack for protection.

    They offer your brand of housing. I would encourage you to ask them directly or where you bought the housing.

     

    Reef Photo (Ryan) has already responded in reply #3. Ryan says it's best to "avoid" packing/travelling with the camera body in the housing. I guess Ryan didn't pack your return shipment. :)

  12. I always carry camera on-board and wouldn't recommend leaving it in the housing.

    Steve

  13. I travel with my Nikon body in my housing, in a LowePro Computrekker. No problems yet (except that it was weighed in Egypt and I was hammered for excess baggage).

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  14. I travel with the camera in the housing, but no lens or port on it, just the covers. This comes cary on.

  15. Ever since I obtained a second body, I have always traveled with it in my Ikelite housing. It's inside my pelican and always hand carried. I would not recommend packing a body in the housing if your bag is going to be checked.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.