Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica D100 Housing

Started by mondo ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica D100 Housing

10 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I have just got my new Aquatica D100 housing, and everything is good, except that there seems to be some sort of problem with the strobe connections :P

     

    Basically, if a strobe is attached and turned on, the flash symbol flashes, and I cannot trigger the shutter.

     

    I have tried 3 different strobe/sync cord combos - 2 x Ike DS125's and 1 x S&S YS60/N.

     

    I have changed the flash function in the CSM menu to manual.

     

    My housing has dual ports, and I have tried having both single strobes attached, as well as duals. I have tried the singals on both bulkheads (though I assume that the left side one (looking from the back of the housing) is the primary.

     

    Am I missing something, or is there a likely problem with the connection?

     

    Appreciate any help

     

    Des

  2. Hi Des,

     

    If a non-DX flash is hooked up to the D100 with a 5 pin connection, you will get the flashing red lightning bolt. The camera won't fire.

     

    You should hook up your flash to a manual (3pin) bulkhead. Does your housing have one on the other side? If not, then you will have to "mask off" two of the pins on your hotshoe connection, as explained by Stephen Frink on his site:

     

    www.seacamusa.com

     

    Check the D1x field notes for a diagram.

     

    If you housing has two TTL (5 pin) bulkheads, then this is what you'll have to do.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James is correct.

     

    If I connect a YS90DX to my Subal housing; no problem.

     

    If I use an SB105 instead, it does what you describe.

     

    The Subal has paired manual (3 pin) and TTL (5 pin) connectors which can be changed over depending on which strobe you're using:conn.jpg

  4. Ike, James and Andrew

     

    THANKS.

     

    You guys are legends.

     

    Best

     

    Des

  5. Legend (def.) Something ancient and poorly remembered.

  6. The Subal has paired manual (3 pin) and TTL (5 pin) connectors which can be changed over depending on which strobe you're using:conn.jpg

    Wow! That is brilliant. I've always found it amazing how such simple fixes seem to take so long to be implemented. For example, why can't you change the battery on the A100 without remooving the camera - a 1/8" modification to the base plate would allow this.

     

    One of the reasons I haven't chosen to house my SB-80 is because it would force me to go back and forth between 5-pin and 3 pin connections, or use a work-around by slaving a strobe. I guess Subal has made this easy!

  7. Sorry to enter so late into this thread. I just got a Subal housing, havent even been in the water with it yet :D

     

    Looking at the picture of the Subal I notice the cable is connected to the 5 pin, ie the TTL connector. Andrew says he has a YS90DX and an SB105.

     

    I mailed with Subal and they told me to _only_ connect the SB80DX to the TTL connector.

    This confuses me a bit because Andrew seems to connect his YS90DX to the 5 pin

    connector.

     

    I was planning to get a YS90DX. Do I connect it to the 5 pin connector? When I asked

    Subal they told me to hook it up to the 3 pin connector. Or maybe it doesnt matter with

    a DX strobe?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Cor

  8. Hi Cor,

     

    If you hook up any strobe except the SB28DX, SB50DX, or SB8DX to the 5 pin connector, you will get a flashing lightning-bolt in the camera viewfinder and the camera will not work. ANY strobe except those listed above - regardless of what nifty letters the manufacturer put in the name to confuse you...

     

    Hope that helps,

    James

  9. My (your old :D ) YS90DX works on the 5 pin setting. Admittedly only as a manual strobe, but it does work.

     

    The SB105 does not.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.