Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Maternity Photography

Started by greedo5678 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Maternity Photography

3 posts
  1. So i am planning on doing a shoot of my pregnant wife either in the pool or in the calm shallows.

     

    We have looked through a number of UW model ideas and a few maternity shot ideas and hope to join a few of them up to create our own pregnancy shots with our personal twist.

     

    However, i have never shoot models before, (except her) either topside or UW, (beside positioning a diver in a WA shot) and would love a few pointers. Our concerns are of course being pregnant, diving is out of the question so it will have to be shallow/surface/pool shots.

     

    We have found a few quiet, (read Dead) resorts around here with pools, who i'm sure could be persuaded for private hire, so no worries of gawping eyes but even so, plan to keep the clothes on. I have my standard UW setup, which lens should i be aiming towards? the fisheye is obviously out (dont want to distort her more than the bump is already doing so!), 18-55 a good bet? Anything else i should look at getting? Waterproof Make-up?

     

    Any links to ideas would also be great.

     

    Olly

  2. Hi,

    I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't drop wide angle so fast. At least for some shots, used properly, you can get interesting photos, if you don't overdo it. I'd say 18-55 is also OK.

    Waterproof makeup is certainly a good idea, I would also bring some props, more or less funny, depending on the mood you want to get (umbrella, stroller, chair...) and maybe some peace of clothing, e.g. some veil, to go with or instead of swimming suit. Hair, especially long, can also render interesting effects.

    I've found some images with the veil here: http://markjohnson.photoshelter.com/galler...0000o46Cm7AGY6c

    I hope this helps a bit.

    Miso

  3. A norwegian photographer came over and shot some photos in Mexico a couple of months ago at one of the cenotes. She's well known for her underwater model shoots (http://www.sisselnystad.com/gallery.htm). She used a fine piece of lace that she had her assistant swim down and drape in front of the model, then have the model swim into the fabric.

     

    Lens wise she was shooting with a 17-40 sized zoom with twin strobes.

     

     

    [vimeohd] 20354031 [/vimeohd]

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.