Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

latest favourite?

Started by nudilover ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

latest favourite?

4 posts
  1. Hi there,

     

    I'm looking to buy a new compact for u/w photography, and am a bit out of date on what's good in the p&s world!

     

    The ones I've been considering are:

     

    • Canon Powershot s95
    • Canon G12
    • Sony Nex5

    I'd like to be able to shoot wide-angle pretty decently for macro/pelagics/wrecks etc. I'm just looking for a really decent. lightweight set-up. The NEX appeals because of the lenses, and good reports but I've been a Canon girl thus far (though the latest dSLR is a Nikon!)

     

    Do any of you have opinions on these, or others? I'm open to suggestions.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Nudi

  2. Sony NEX-5 uses APS-C sensor that is more than 8 times larger than G12 and S95's, so NEX-5 has more than two stops advantage over the two P&S cameras, meaning NEX-5 ISO 3200 delivers image quality similar to G12/S95 between ISO 400-800, so you'll be able to use more than two stops faster shutter speeds for fast-moving creatures like sea lions. Compare NEX-5 ISO 3200 to G12 ISO 400 & 800 and you'll see the claim is real: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

    Edited by A.Y.
  3. I'd also take a look at the Panasonic GF2, a mirrorless 4/3rds sensor camera. The underwater photos I've seen with the 45mm macro and 8mm fisheye are amazing. Recsea makes a housing for it.

  4. Thanks for the feedback :(

     

    The NEX-5 does seem much better in that respect...which means my budget is going to be stretched as the housing options are so much more expensive! I've only ever used Ikelite before, but the website says they're working on a housing, with no info on when it will be ready.

     

    It would be good to keep under the 1K mark budget-wise, but I'm not sure this is possible with a decent EVIL...agh, decisions, decisions!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.