Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Zen Mini Dome 100 and Nauticam Extension Port Stuck Together!

Started by JKrumsick ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Zen Mini Dome 100 and Nauticam Extension Port Stuck Together!

10 posts
  1. Hey Everyone -

     

    It seems my Zen 100 mm mini Dome and the extension port are stuck together (it is obviously unlocked when I try to separate the two).

     

    I mean, it is really stuck. Whenever I try to turn the mini dome counter-clockwise so that it reaches the "1" there is zero movement. I have had help from others as well.

     

    I was in Komodo when I last put the mini dome together. I re-lubed and cleaned the o-rings and it the dome twisted on ok (albeit hard). Now it is impossible to twist off.

     

    Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate them as i don't want to lose the use of my gear while in Indonesia for the first time in my life!

     

    All the best,

  2. I assume that it is not connected to your housing?

  3. Hey Everyone -

     

    It seems my Zen 100 mm mini Dome and the extension port are stuck together (it is obviously unlocked when I try to separate the two).

     

    I mean, it is really stuck. Whenever I try to turn the mini dome counter-clockwise so that it reaches the "1" there is zero movement. I have had help from others as well.

     

    I was in Komodo when I last put the mini dome together. I re-lubed and cleaned the o-rings and it the dome twisted on ok (albeit hard). Now it is impossible to twist off.

    +++++++++++++++

    If it is not on the camera and is a screw connection, try sitting the female section in hot water and hope for some thermal expansion. Also,see if you can locate some rubber hose or a length of wet rope. and a length of wood. Now visualize how a strap wrench is configured and try to emulate it. A helper with large hands will be a added benefit. Also, have calls made to other diving lodges in the area. Strap wrenches are more common than you think

  4. Thanks for the responses.

     

    @ blibecap -

    I have taken the extension and dome off of the housing. Perhaps it would be easier to turn the dome off of the extension if connected to the housing but I am worried about applying too much torque.

     

    @ okuma -

    I have asked my dive shop for some strap wrenches and they unfortunately don't have any. Even if I do use a homemade one, I am worried about applying too much torque and messing up the plastic.

  5. can you contact the place where you purchased the dome for advice?

     

    Harbor Freight and most hardware stores have strap wrenches.

     

    You could try putting it in the freezer and turn

     

    You can try soaking it in hot water and turn

     

    are you sure that you are turning it in the right direction?

     

    What other options do you have?

     

    bill

  6. Most likely you have thought of this but have you ensured that the locking pin is fully disengaged before trying to rotate?

  7. Most likely you have thought of this but have you ensured that the locking pin is fully disengaged before trying to rotate?

     

    Hi Slashmagurk,

     

    As Alex mentions, make sure the locking pin is disengaged. If it was partially engaged when you started to remove it, it might have gotten bound up, so check for that. You may need to twist it back slightly that other way to get it unbound.

     

    I second the recommendation about getting a couple of strap wrenches. Your can get them from Sears among other places - not expensive and very handy to have around. If might take two people if it is really bound up. If that doesn't work, contact me on my work email and we'll figure out how to get this solved for you.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  8. Keep in mind guys that he is in Lembeh so he might not have a Sears or Harbor Freight close by :)

  9. Well I hope they have some hardware / auto parts stores there or maybe he needs to find a couple of strong bud's to apply significant and proper forces.

  10. I second the recommendation about getting a couple of strap wrenches. Your can get them from Sears among other places - not expensive and very handy to have around. If might take two people if it is really bound up. If that doesn't work, contact me on my work email and we'll figure out how to get this solved for you.

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

     

    Hey Chris -

    Thanks for the reply - so you are not worried about applying too much torque to it with a strap wrench? To be honest, I wouldn't mind them being stuck together if it didn't make me worry about flooding and problems with the o-rings. I mean, it's not like I would use that dome extension for anything else ;-).

     

    I was thinking about using it anyway because I used it a bunch in Komodo without any issues (2 weeks ago) and nothing has really changed since... but I'm not sure about risking it.

     

    I am in Lembeh so strap wrenches may be hard to come by. I do have an ingenuitive DM here so maybe we can jimmy rig something together.

     

    CP - You probably don't remember me but we met at Beneath the Sea in 2010. You and Ryan talked me into buying the housing. Slashmagurk is a far-cry from my real name of Jeremy Krumsick. I was the kid who sold his mini-cooper to buy that 7D housing :-D.

     

    Thanks for all of the help guys.

    J

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.