Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Cutting up trip DVD's

Started by wagsy ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Cutting up trip DVD's

9 posts
  1. Hi

    Having to use a frustrating time consuming transcoding MAC for a week, I needed to work out a faster work flow to edit raw Canon mov and HDV files together to make trip DVD's

    Waiting for renders drove me nuts not to mention it locking up on me so in the end had to save project ever few edits lol

     

    So once home I played around on my PC.

     

    Suck in the raw 1440/1080 HDV and Canon 1920/1080 mov files without any transcoding.

    Edit them both in a 1440/1080 timeline in realtine at full resolution with speed and colour adjust if needed.

     

    Batch render out a Pal and NTSC MPEG 2 with ac3 audio files plus a HDV mts file to send the edited project back to a HDV tape later on for archiving.

    60 seconds of timeline takes about 2 minutes to render out all the files. :)

    Place the MPEG 2 files straight into the DVD authoring projects without any further transcoding.

    Compile the DVDs which takes a few minutes and then burn.

     

    Fire up the MPEG TS writer and send the edited HDV mts file back to the tape in realtime.

     

    All this on an old $1500 - 2008 - 2.4 quad PC with single sata drives :-)

     

    I have a i5 laptop so will now see how fast this same process is on that.

  2. Hi

    Having to use a frustrating time consuming transcoding MAC for a week, I needed to work out a faster work flow to edit raw Canon mov and HDV files together to make trip DVD's

    Waiting for renders drove me nuts not to mention it locking up on me so in the end had to save project ever few edits lol

     

    So once home I played around on my PC.

     

    Suck in the raw 1440/1080 HDV and Canon 1920/1080 mov files without any transcoding.

    Edit them both in a 1440/1080 timeline in realtine at full resolution with speed and colour adjust if needed.

     

    Batch render out a Pal and NTSC MPEG 2 with ac3 audio files plus a HDV mts file to send the edited project back to a HDV tape later on for archiving.

    60 seconds of timeline takes about 2 minutes to render out all the files. :)

    Place the MPEG 2 files straight into the DVD authoring projects without any further transcoding.

    Compile the DVDs which takes a few minutes and then burn.

     

    Fire up the MPEG TS writer and send the edited HDV mts file back to the tape in realtime.

     

    All this on an old $1500 - 2008 - 2.4 quad PC with single sata drives :-)

     

    I have a i5 laptop so will now see how fast this same process is on that.

     

     

    TAKE THAT!!! Mac lovers :D:)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. Care to elaborate on this bit: "Edit them both in a 1440/1080 timeline in realtine at full resolution with speed and colour adjust if needed."

     

    So you're editing 1440 and 1080p footage at full res and colour grading, realtime?

     

    What are you using to accomplish this Herculean feat?

  4. Me thinks it might be Edius :)

  5. Wagsy,

    What the heck codec were you trying to transcode to? I have often mixed formats but transcoded them to Pro Res and it never took all day. What app were you trying to transcode them in? I know you're a PC, Edius person so maybe your workflow on a Mac just needs some shoring up.

    Steve

     

    PS. I'm still saying Mac rules, but come June 11 when X comes out, I have no idea what I will be saying.

  6. Hello :-)

     

    Well my i5 laptop is not a fast as the old 2.4 quad by the looks but it still managed to cut up raw HDV mts files no problems without having to transcode to another codec for editing.

    It can play the raw Canon mov files good enough for just basic edits though.

     

    See the Shark Feed video I will be posting next. :)

     

    The mac was transcoding the HDV into a mov format on import but it still had to render if I added color or speed adjust. Maybe the computer needs some TLC as it was locking up on me quite abit.

     

    Yes the NLE on the PC I use only displays the footage at full resolution when editing.

    I just open up a 1440/1080 50i timeline and just place the raw Canon 1920/1080 25p or HDV 1440/1080 50i in and away I go.

     

    Once edited I batch render out the DVD PAL and NTSC MPEG 2 spec files straight from the timeline.

    Output files look fine for a DVD.

  7. Hey....

     

    Watch this video clip.

    FCP and EDIUS on the same Mac Pro laptop.

    This guy is editing raw Canon 1920/1080 mov files.

    Kind of makes a joke of FCP performance for real time editing of raw files.

     

  8. Was sagt er ich spreche kein Deutsch

     

    Tauchgang sicher

     

    Herr DeanB

  9. Wait for FCP X. Previous FCP versions are not supposed to support editing raw material of tapeless video format.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.