Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon G12 or Fuji F550

Started by lochdara ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G12 or Fuji F550

4 posts
  1. Hi Guys

     

    I need a little help deciding the best value for money camera between the Canon g12 and fuji f550. They will be used as underwater cameras mainly. Both have similar priced underwater housings although he G12 has a more expensive one rated for 60m, a little bit out of my range and fuji Ireland say there isnt one for the f550 but its listed on the main fuji website (part no WP FXF500)

     

    I know the Fuji is cheaper but i regard value for money as the getting the best use of it. Both have RAW mode, Fuji has a New CMOS sensor over the canons CCD which i probably wont see any difference. Ive done a good bit of review searching but its down to the nitty gritty now.

     

     

    Anyway advise is required to help me choose the right model.

     

    Thanks

     

    Malcolm

    www.irishpadi.com

  2. There are more higher end underwater housings available for the G12. If you are going to get a cheap housing, the fuji housings are better quality than the canon housings. Hope this helps.

     

    Scott

  3. I have a G11 in a Patima aluminium housing and i am very happy with it.

     

    To make your buying decisions more confused, you may should have a look at the Nikon P7000,

    it seems that the P7000 is doing very well, but also only a limited choice of housing available.

     

     

    The Canon G11/G12 hosuing is very cheap but functional for some light use,

    for more in depth and advanced photography a better housing will be necessary, even if some people make very nice pics with the Canon housing.Chris

  4. Lots of people use canon cameras in canon housings and have great results. I would have no qualms about using those housings.

    That being said, I've had a Fuji housing for the F30. That housing was better made than any other OEM housing I've seen. It has a double seal on the back door and a nice rotating lock that really snugs it into place.

     

    So, I have no idea about the 550, but if the Fuji housings are coming from the same place they used to, they are well made.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.