Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam and Zen, dramas with internal flash

Started by Chriso ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam and Zen, dramas with internal flash

17 posts
  1. G'day All

    Wondering if anyone else is using this combination and if you have a fix, first time I have had the new glass underwater, thinking I am going to have to build in a baffle of some sort.

     

    Nauticam D300s

    Zen 9" Glass

    Tokina 10-17 fisheye

     

    And the result....

    post-10908-1303807911.jpg

  2. I have the same with Tokina + Hugyfot Dome. Just made a foam rubber ring, which I put on the lens and reflections are gone.

    Edited by Seabeast
  3. This is what I used with my 40D/50D in my fibre optic converted Subal:

     

    339630338_uJryi-M-1.jpg

     

    I've never had an issue with either my 8" or 4"dome with my 7D in Nauticam, the zoom gear blocks off any light getting into the domes.

    Edited by Gudge
  4. Thanks Gudge,

    Thats nice and just what I was looking for.

    Looks like an issue with the larger Zen 9", I don't have any reflection with my smaller ones either.

     

    Pete at ScubaPix just Emailed me as well, he says Nauticam actually make a buffer for just this occasion.

    And just a thumbs up for tops service as well, Pete is in Lembeh on holiday and I had an Email within 30mins of posting :)

    http://www.scubapix.com/

     

    Thanks All !!

    Edited by Chriso
  5. This is what I used with my 40D/50D in my fibre optic converted Subal

    You steal my ring man =)

     

    5aec1c868a63.jpg

  6. G'day All

    Wondering if anyone else is using this combination and if you have a fix, first time I have had the new glass underwater, thinking I am going to have to build in a baffle of some sort.

     

    Nauticam D300s

    Zen 9" Glass

    Tokina 10-17 fisheye

     

    And the result....

     

    Hey Chriso,

     

    Just grab the foam cozy from your Murrays Wild Thing and cut a section to go arround the Tok. Light loves negative space.

    Bob

  7. You need Nauticam #28109. It is a rubber ring that mounts between the plastic port bayonet ring and aluminum port body, or the same parts on an extension if used, and completely blocks out light leak.

  8. Here is the rubber ring, installed in the groove on an extension ring. This can also be pressed into a dome or flat port, but it needs to be attached the the first accessory part locked directly to the housing.

     

    _DSC1270.jpg

     

    The easiest way to illustrate this was to turn an led flashlight on behind the housing, shining through the lcd window on the back. Light from the internal flash wouldn't likely shine through in this location, but this shows that the gear alone won't block all of the light.

     

    LeakingLight-1-2.jpg

     

    And here is an image with the rubber ring installed:

     

    WithGasket-1.jpg

    Edited by Ryan
  9. Nice demonstration Ryan.

  10. Thanks Ryan :)

    Can you please chuck on into the quote with the Nauticam D7000 housing and the other bits.

  11. Hey Chriso,

     

    Think you're getting your Ryan's mixed up, 'Ryan' is from Reef Photo Video in the States. I'm the real Ryan :)

  12. Will I need one of these with the Nauticam 9" dome?

  13. I've never had an issue with either my 8" or 4"dome with my 7D in Nauticam, the zoom gear blocks off any light getting into the domes.
    I just realised that I should point out that I'm using Subal Type 3 mount domes with the Nauticam/Subal adapter. The adapter covers the gap between the zoom gear and housing, so extra bits are required in this case.
  14. Ha sorry Ryan, I was talking Ryan on the phone at the same time putting an order together whilst reading your post, that was silly.

     

    Anyway I found a better solution

    Just put in an order for a new Nikon D7000 and a dead sexy Nauticam housing to go with it :)

     

    Anyone in the market for a Nikon D80 in a Sea&Sea ?

    Edited by Chriso
  15. I've not seen this problem with either the Tokina or the Nikon 10.5mm using Nauticam's big dome.

     

    Tokina

     

    post-4522-1304447635.jpg

     

     

    Nikon

     

    post-4522-1304447666.jpg

     

     

    Tim

     

    :D

    Edited by tdpriest
  16. I with the 10-17 and 8.5" dome also and no problem at all.......this problem only happen with canon user.....so far i heard!!!!!!!!

    Edited by ckchong
  17. Its all good I found a better solution, nice and shiny :D

    p921784123.jpg

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.