Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New to UW Photo - Nikon D300

Started by Captain Ross ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

New to UW Photo - Nikon D300

5 posts
  1. Hi all, first or second post on this site. Looks great so far. Here is my situation, just need a little thumbs up, or down, suggestions or like wise.

     

    I have been photographing with my D300 for the past three years, very happy with my progression as a photographer.

     

    I spend a lot of time on and near the water, so I've come to the expensive realization that I need UW housing.

     

    Like I said here is what I have and intend to use so far:

     

    Nikon D300

    Nikon AF 10.5mm f/2.8 G Fisheye

    Nikon AF 50mm F1.8 Straight

     

     

    What I am looking for (and need advise on):

     

    Housing - I've been looking at the IkeLite brand, as the price is closer to my budget.

     

    Looks like I'll need the Dome Port for shooting with the fisheye.

     

     

    Please let me know what your suggestions would be for my current set up.

    Also, how often do these (this item specifically) float around on the buy/sell portion of the site?

     

    Thanks all, hope to become a new active member!

     

    A shot from last summer working in Alaska.

     

    WhaleFeeding2.jpg

     

    BigButts.jpg

  2. Hi,

    As camrea change so qucikly you may find a used housing & ports of different brands, may come in to your budget

    range. Wetpixel have a classified thread.

     

    Andy :)

  3. Hi,

    As camrea change so qucikly you may find a used housing & ports of different brands, may come in to your budget

    range. Wetpixel have a classified thread.

     

    Andy :)

     

    Thanks Andy. Already finding some options.

  4. Thanks Andy. Already finding some options.

     

    Check with people like Backscatter and Reef Photo for used housings for your D300 - the classifieds here have good stuff too - I am still quite happy with mine although I am looking closely at the D7000 - (PM me with the right offer on my Aquatica housing and maybe we can talk though). You will have a lot more luck getting used housings than ports as people tend to stick with the same brand of housing when upgrading. The 10.5 Nikon is a great lens but take a look at the Tokina 10 - 17 for a little more versatility. You need a dome port with either of those - either 6" or 8" is standard but people are using the 4" for close focus wide angle. Look at the Nikon 60 for a good macro lens - you need a flat port for that. I like the Sigma 17 - 70 HSM as a reasonably priced versatile scout lens - can do basic close up and wide angle in variable conditions - uses a dome port. Of course you also need zoom gears and extension rings and of course flashes, arms, sync cords, maybe a TTL converter, a focus light, computer software, etc.....

    Andy

  5. Check with people like Backscatter and Reef Photo for used housings for your D300 - the classifieds here have good stuff too - I am still quite happy with mine although I am looking closely at the D7000 - (PM me with the right offer on my Aquatica housing and maybe we can talk though). You will have a lot more luck getting used housings than ports as people tend to stick with the same brand of housing when upgrading. The 10.5 Nikon is a great lens but take a look at the Tokina 10 - 17 for a little more versatility. You need a dome port with either of those - either 6" or 8" is standard but people are using the 4" for close focus wide angle. Look at the Nikon 60 for a good macro lens - you need a flat port for that. I like the Sigma 17 - 70 HSM as a reasonably priced versatile scout lens - can do basic close up and wide angle in variable conditions - uses a dome port. Of course you also need zoom gears and extension rings and of course flashes, arms, sync cords, maybe a TTL converter, a focus light, computer software, etc.....

    Andy

     

    The housing is really the main purchase at this point. Buying new ports is fine, though lightly used would be preferred.

     

    I am specifically interested in surface and split (in and out of water) photography while fishing/boating while using the 10.5mm lens and my 50mm.

     

    I would like the flexibility to expand into macro and strobes for deep dives in the not so distant future.

     

    I do have the computer and Post processing software to tackle the change in direction already.

     

    Let me know about that Aquatica housing :)

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.