Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite Standard vs Modular ports

Started by jeff.tillinghast ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Standard vs Modular ports

4 posts
  1. Hi all-- I'm trying to choose a port for my new housing, and I am at a loss at to advantages and disadvantages to each of Ikelite's options. I understand the customization possibilities of the modular system, but the setup that I'd need for my 60mm Macro, which will be my first and default lens, really doesn't share many options with other modular setups. Certainly given the price difference, I could easily come out ahead in the standard setup with the one or two other lenses that I would (eventually maybe) use.

     

    The question comes down to quality for me-- taking out the customizable aspect of the modular system, is there a significant difference in quality between one modular flat port and one standard flat port?

     

    Thanks!

    Jeff

  2. It may be cheaper for now, but eventually you will want more ports and lenses. Then the modular ports will be more practical and you'll have no need for the standard 60 port. Pay a bit more now to avoid the waste.

  3. I prefer also modular system.

  4. My 2c - There's not much price advantage in the modular system even when you have a bucket full of lenses. Don't know about US but here in the UK, the cost of a complete standard flat port is pretty much the same cost as just a modular port extension without the port.

     

    In flat ports there is no difference in optical performance. With domes you have 8" in modular or 6" in the standard port series. The other option is the 4" Zen for fisheyes.

     

    The benefit of the modular ports comes when you want to pack them for travel, particularly the domes which take up a lot of space.

     

    I only have a 60mm in macro so chose a standard flat port for that and use the modular system dome with extensions for my mid to wide angle lenses.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.