Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish/Reef Creature ID book in DVD/software format?

Started by gina ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish/Reef Creature ID book in DVD/software format?

11 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I was wondering if anyone knew of a reef fish/creature ID book in DVD or software format? I saw a previous thread here about Kindle format, but that's not color and difficult to page through (if it even exists). I thought I heard something a few years ago about a software version of an ID guide (so that it sits on the same computer you process your photos on) that was searchable - does this ring a bell for anyone?

     

    If such a wonderful product exists and you have seen it, would you recommend it (both from a correct-ID as well as a software-works-well point of view)?

     

    If this product doesn't yet exist, is there anyone out there who can push Humann/DeLoach/New World Publications to create one? Surely we'd all buy one!

     

    Thanks,

    Gina

  2. ReefNet is the one it sounds like you are thinking of
  3. Hello,

     

    I was wondering if anyone knew of a reef fish/creature ID book in DVD or software format? I saw a previous thread here about Kindle format, but that's not color and difficult to page through (if it even exists). I thought I heard something a few years ago about a software version of an ID guide (so that it sits on the same computer you process your photos on) that was searchable - does this ring a bell for anyone?

     

    If such a wonderful product exists and you have seen it, would you recommend it (both from a correct-ID as well as a software-works-well point of view)?

     

    If this product doesn't yet exist, is there anyone out there who can push Humann/DeLoach/New World Publications to create one? Surely we'd all buy one!

     

    Thanks,

    Gina

     

    You can get the Humann/DeLoach book, which has been combined with Reefnet's work from either Reefnet (www.reefnet.ca) or REEF (www.reef.org). The DVD is Windows only, though Keri has told me they are working on a Mac version. I think it is a NATURAL for an iPad ebook, but as far as I know that is not on the immediate horizon.

     

    Keri frequents this site and may shed some light on the other formats. I have suggested to Ned DeLoach (hint, hint) how much I'd live an iPad version.

     

    Steve

  4. Rob Myers has an iPad Caribbean reef fish guide, but I cannot find the link for it, I will post it when I find it.

     

    And I am pretty sure you can get a DVD version of Ross Robertson's eastern Pacific fish guide here:

     

    http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/sftep/

  5. ReefNet is the one it sounds like you are thinking of

     

    Yes, that's it, thank you! But drat, I have a Mac and they currently only have the Windows version out. I will keep an eye on that site for updates.

     

    -Gina

  6. Rob Myers has an iPad Caribbean reef fish guide, but I cannot find the link for it, I will post it when I find it.

     

    And I am pretty sure you can get a DVD version of Ross Robertson's eastern Pacific fish guide here:

     

    http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/sftep/

     

    Oh, that's a neat site. I've bookmarked it for later use, thank you.

     

    I don't see any DVD info, but I'll poke around there some more.

     

    -Gina

  7. Yes, that's it, thank you! But drat, I have a Mac and they currently only have the Windows version out. I will keep an eye on that site for updates.

     

    -Gina

     

     

    Bootcamp, VMWare and Parallels all should work it fine....

  8. I have the Reefnet DVD installed on my laptop and love it.

    No need to carry around an extra reference book in these days of tight airline weight restrictions.Once you install it on the hard drive, there is no need to carry the DVD around.

    The species photographs and videos are top notch, lots of search parameters and the Latin name pronunciation feature is cool too.

    I just wish they could expand the DVD offerings to the other titles they have in print.

  9. I wrote to the ReefNet people to encourage the development of a Mac product, including an interactive guide for the Tropical Pacific, and this was their prompt response:

     

    "We're actively working on Mac OS compatibility, in conjunction with the development of other editions (eventually including the Tropical Pacific).

     

    To be notified about new developments and releases in this regard, you should subscribe to our newsletter:

     

    http://reefnet.ca/newsletter

     

    The newsletter is very low volume (<6 per year), and we do not redistribute subscriber information."

     

    If & when I get an announcement about the Mac product(s) I will post it here.

     

    -Gina

  10. i also found this for nudi lovers. But i have neither an ipad or iphone so can not test it or see how useful it really is... maybe just some fun to while away long train journeys.

     

    http://www.fishtalespress.com/page7/page7.html

     

    Olly

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.