I had these systems together testing two different copies of the insect eye lens, so I thought I'd share the results here. No earth shattering discoveries, just the best samples I could come up with in a tub of water.
Nikon D90, AF 60mm /2.8D & Nauticam Custom Port with Corrective Lens
f22, 1/80
Canon 550D, EF-S 60mm /2.8 USM, Nauticam Port
f22, 1/80
The depth of field looks better on the bottom two pictures although the viewing angle is a little different. Can you also post pictures of the rigs so we can see the difference in the ports etc?
The Canon lens definitely allows better foreground reproduction, and since I was able to get closer I had to shoot a a slightly more downard angle (the lens was touching the bottom of the basin).
I don't have any images of the setups, I've already torn them down.
In the last image the background suffered a weird distortion, this must be a problem with the setup.
Looks like the 60 EFS lens is it. Too bad Inon did not aim this at the more pro oriented user (which seems obvious given its specialist nature) and design it for a lens or better, lenses, compatible with FF, as well, a focal length common to more than one camera brand such as 100/105mm macros.
Thanks Ryan, this is pretty consistent with what I have found with the lens in the field, on both Canon and Nikon systems. Although I have only done one dive with it on Canon. With Nikon 60mm it is definitely better on thumb-sized subjects and larger - whereas you can go a bit smaller on Canon.
Actually just back in from a dive with this lens here in Iceland. A shot from today in the chilly waters up here (with D7000 + 60mm + Inon Fisheye Relay, Nauticam housing, 2 x Inon strobes (one fitted with fibres):
That said I still feel it is the ultimate tease. The images look great on the back of the camera and a web-res (and excellent on HD video) - but pretty limited for printing.
Alex
Thought I would post this - as it contains me speaking a bit more candidly about this lens, than perhaps I would be when writing. May be of interest to some, because although I really enjoy using this lens, I have not bought one myself, so have no need to justify my purchase.
Bit about the INON fisheye relay thing is from 06:25 to 11:18. I think there are some interesting comments on why images from this lens have not been that widely published or won many competitions (except where competition judges or mag editor is an UW photographer):
Alex
Great, GREAT master talk! listening/learning to/from talks like this feels almost like cheating!
Regarding Inon endoscope, I think that they should design it a little bit "thicker" so all the info should not pass through such a narrow lens losing detail in the way. Like you said, it really is a tease!