Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Digital TTL Strobe

Started by Rhizophora79 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Digital TTL Strobe

7 posts
  1. Does anyone know if any of the new digital SLR cameras have the ability for TTL strobes? What are the chances of a new Canon or Nikon with TTL coming out in time for PMA in February?

  2. Personally, I think that we won't see TTL as such in future digital cameras.

     

    I think that DTTL or iTTL will become the new standard

     

    The problem is, for a little niche market like ours, will Nikon and Canon and others release the specs to 3rd party manufacturers like Ikelite to build strobes to that spec?

  3. The camera companies never did divulge their proprietary information. We have deciphered the Olympus system for their digital cameras, and are working on Canon and Nikon. We believe it can be done............

  4. Hi Ike

     

    Well when it is, I humbly offer to be a tester for a DTTL version of the DS125.

     

    Just let me know where to send the order!

     

    Thanks for the good news

     

    Best

     

    Des

  5. Sign me up for Canon and e-TTL! I'm in the market for 2 strobes in the next couple months...

     

    Tom

  6. The Fuji S2 TTL works very well! I never use TTL for wide angle shooting, but I have used it for macro shots in a Aquatica housing. Best part is I can use ANY of my old Ike or Nikon TTL strobes.

     

    CB

  7. CCD and CMOS sensors absorb light. Therefore, it's pretty difficult for a TTL system to "read the flash light reflected off the film plane" like with a traditional film SLR camera.

     

    So Nikon and Canon have come up with advanced systems that put out a number of preflashes and have sensors to read the return of these preflashes then set the flash duration (power).

     

    Somehow, Fuji is able to do traditional "film-style" TTL with their SuperCCD, I don't know how, but it works and works well.

     

    So I wouldn't look for a digital TTL strobe in the near future, especially as the DSLR companies keep changing their TTL with each camera. Nikon is up to i-TTL now, skiping like a half-dozen letters straight from D to I...lol.

     

    Cheers

    James

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.